1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how many jobs?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ableroofing, Nov 26, 2007.

1. ableroofing

ableroofing Junior Member

I am starting my own business after 5 yrs of plowing for someone els up here in new hampshire. I have about 30 res. driveways now and was wondering how many other people have. I dont want to sign up to many people, but I also want as many customers as I could handle. Thank you for all of your help

2. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

This depends on what your running for equipment & how efficient you are with your equipment. There is no magic number for how much one person can handle in my mind

3. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

and how far apart you customers are

I have a jeep, 75 driveway, in a 3 mile circle.
    with my F150 i could handle 45 driveways

4. mmplowing

mmplowing Member

Where in NH are you located? I am also in NH and the route isnt as tight as I would like. We are thinking of adding another truck but not sure. Like others above have said, there are a lot of contributing factors.

5. dmjr77

dmjr77 Senior Member

Where in NH are you? I am from the Lakes Region. I own and operate a property management business. I run 3 trucks and currently have 70 driveway (signed current) I am hoping for more.

6. ableroofing

ableroofing Junior Member

Im is southern nh the concord area, I got lucky and 2 people in my area were retiring. all of my contracts are within about 4 miles from my house and I was doing mostly parking lots with a few driveways here and there, but now it is all driveways. I would love to be able to get 50 done but right now I am at 30 and just seeing what you guys think.
    I have a 2000 dodge 2500 with a 8' fisher elec. pump. should I get another battery?
    also if something was to go wrong with the plow, (like what breaks the most with the fisher elec pump model 2000 yr) I would like to get some back up parts. I was plowing with a older ford and old belt driven plow before. thanks for the posts

7. dmjr77

dmjr77 Senior Member

I would get a second battery, all 3 of my trucks have a second battery. It is worth it.

8. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

i think i read somewhere that john geer puts 100 drives per truck and i think he said he had 20 truckspayuppayuppayuppayup (it would only let me put 4 pa-upsLOL) but he is working with superior equipment

9. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I have 16 drives with sidewalks and that is going to be plenty for me, being my first year, I think that this will be plenty for me.