1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How many is too many miles on a diesel?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by buffalonick, Dec 11, 2009.

1. buffalonick

buffalonick Junior Member

2. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

90k on that truck is nothing.

3. Deco

Deco Senior Member

try to get something under 60k with extended warrantee . this way if theres a problem , usually only a $100. deductable . its worth it .diesels are expensive to mainatain.

4. badabing1512

badabing1512 Senior Member

Whatever you do stay with a 2002 and older, those 03 with the 6.0 were garbage. That truck looks solid and the 7.3 was a great engine. If you were really smart youd just buy a dmax and be done with it wesport

5. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

What about an '03 with a 7.3?

Would that be an OK truck?

6. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

Yes as long as it's a 7.3.

Mine has over 150k and still runs like new. Doesn't cost that much to keep up and i use all Amsoil synthetic. Make sure the ball joints are good. Mine went at 127k..

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

IMHO, extended warranties are a waste of money.

Except for the 6.0's maybe.

Or those elusive 04's with the 7.3. ;) :rolleyes:

8. M&M Services

M&M Services Senior Member
    from midwest

LOL.. I love how everyone is quick to knock the 6.0. Now, I may jinx my self, but I personally have an 03 with 105k on it, it has plowed and been lifted for 4 years... And the only thing i have done to it is brakes, oil changes, fuel filters, and I just changed the original batteries last weekend.. My buddy also has 3 of them, 1 03, and 2 04s, all of them are over 150k, the 03 has 166k on it, and it pulls bobcats, min excavators etc day in and day out. There are bad 6.0s out there, just not all of them! Keep them stock, and maintained and they will be good to you. Check the oasis report on whatever you decide to buy. Either way you can not go wrong with a Ford.

9. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

The truck in the autotrader link looks good. 90k on the clock is fine as long as it was properly maintained.

02-03 7.3s had the best running motors (best factory calibrations IMO and most power). The 4R100 automatic trans isn't the greatest though. Toss a chip, intake, exhaust, gauges and a built trans and you'd have a badazz plow rig.

As for the 6.0, we have three of them....a 2004, 2006 and 2007. More power from the factory and the 5R110 trans is far superior to the old 4R100. I love plowing with my 07 6.0, only a little over 47,000 miles on it though.

10. Upscale

Upscale Junior Member

I have a 96 F350 7.3 w/ 185k. Runs like a charm. Ball joints went at 180k. Had whole new front and rear end replaced at same time. Blew the tranny (sounds kinda sexual) at about 170k. Runs just like a new truck, just looks old.

11. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

Just turned 220,xxx on my 2002. Should go to 400,xxx no problem.

12. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

we have two trucks with the 7.3 both have around 2xx,xxx on them both have original trans in them and have never had any engine problems outside normal items like water pumps, alts and glow plug relays.

13. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

6.0's with higher miles are a good thing. The 6.0L problems were with LOW miles. 10k, 20k, 30k....... Once major issues were addressed and fixed properly they last. Aftermarket add ons and tuning is to blame for many of the problems as well. Yes they should be able to handle it, but they can't in stock form.

We have 2 04's with 6.0's and they are beat to death workhorses. 240k on one and probably around 200k on the other. No major issues aside from a recent turbo on the 240k truck. An easy swap and $900. Not bad.

I've seen 6.0's on ebay with over 300k. Most new diesels will last 3-400k IMHO. There's plenty with more.

14. Deco

Deco Senior Member

like i was saying , purchase an extended warantee so the deductable remains at $100. if your trans should take a poop , $100. . i tell you this from EXPERIENCE , not opinionated .:nod:

15. ScottPA

ScottPA Senior Member
    from PA

90K on a diesel.....you might as well still call it a virgin with that kind of mileage.

16. Deco

Deco Senior Member

not if i been driving it

17. cornbinder

cornbinder Senior Member

as long as they have been maintained. keep the oil changes under 5,000 miles though, less if they sit around and idle much. add a larger transmission cooler, check the ball joints and front end parts. look to see how bad the oil pan is rusted the engine has to be pulled partially out to replace it. should last quite a while as long as you keep up the service and change the transmission fluid no more than 20,000 mile intervals.(cheap insurance)

18. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

That's because they're a crap shoot on reliability. They may not start without any warning. This has happened to 2 of my 3.

And they are all maintained, worked hard, etc, etc. They are NOT a reliable engine as is shown by the fact that it is a crap shoot.

I know that my 3 7.3's will keep going and going and going and going. CPS might go bad, but it still runs. Wiring harness might loosen, but it still runs. 6.0's take a crap and you need a tow truck and a minimum of a grand when they are out of warranty to get them back on the road.

19. ramdieselsmoke

ramdieselsmoke Member

OUT OF ALL THE TRUCK IVE OWNED MY DODGES HAVE BEEN THE BEST AS LONG YOU TAKE CARE OF THEM, DEFF. DONT GET THE 6.0 FORD IS JUNK:gunsfiring: THE 7.3 IS COOL BUT AGAIN PEOPLE INSTALL 5.9 CUMMINS MOTORS IN FORDS CALL EM FUMMINS DIESELS. MY TRUCK HAS 153K AND GOING STRONG, BUT MAKE SURE THE TRUCK WAS TAKEN CARE OF BECAUSE IF IT WAS WORKED HARD FOR 90K MILES THEN YOUR BOUND TO HAVE ISSUES NOT MATTER WHAT KIND OF TRUCK IT IS. GO 98.5 -2002 RAM DIESEL ITS YOUR BEST BET! YOU CAN GET ONE FOR 9K TO 20K AND RUN IT FOR YEARS! PLUS THEY EAT POWERJOKES AND CRAP DURAMAXS WHAT MORE WOULD U WANT?

20. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict

90k for a diesel isn't anything! Like M&M said, some of the early 03 and 04 6.0L PSDs, were pretty good. The 05-07 seem to have most of the bugs worked out. Plus, like others have said, the new 5 speed trans is far superior to the older 4R100!