1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How many inches of snow must be predicted before you do a walk around?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grandview, Oct 11, 2009.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Most of the time when we are to get snow it's no big deal ,just go out and plow. But sometimes when we are predicted to get more then 12 inches of snow over night I tend to go out and walk around my truck just to check things out.
  2. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

That's funny... I do the same thing when they predict a bad one. I bring 'em all in the shop and check for any potential issues. My guys pick on me, but I think it's a way to focus my nervous energy when they're predicting a big storm. But it's no coincidence, 12+ inches breaks stuff that 3 or 4 inches won't. :nod:
  3. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

I don't worry about it. I know all my stuff will work everytime I need it....

Ok, I get nervous at 1 inch of snow. So I am on my shop guys to make sure everything is in working order.

4. FEFMedia

FEFMedia Senior Member

Honestly when I was plowing for contractors using their trucks, I had enough time to check the gas tank, wiper fluid, and that was pretty much it.

Now that I will be plowing with my own truck. I will probably be a bit more picky. Double check plow, tires, fluid. But honestly major checks wont happen until about 6 inches of snow or more.. I know I am going to be gone for a few days so I will be checking a lot more stuff :)
  5. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

I dont do a walk around but I do look around on plowsite and ebay to see what Im going to spend all my money on.:laughing:
  6. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

So am I odd that I do a walk around everytime? I figure even for a few inches I will still be in the truck for a good 6-8 hours and should give everything a once over. Its a lot easier to tighten a bolt or fix a plug in a 70 degree garage than a dark cold lot somewhere.
  7. BORIS

BORIS Senior Member

I agree. I would rather look around every time at home in the heat than have something stupid beak in the cold that i could have fixed at home. Wow i just broke 20 posts. :)
  8. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

I check before and during alot of times but espechialy on the big storms....
  9. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

Its still hard to believe how long these trucks run in a good storm, last winter at 1 storm I ran 2 trucks for 36hrs straight with never turning them off. Im afraid if I turn them off they may not start up again.
  10. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

That's the first rule of plowing ,never turn it off.:nod:
  11. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

I walk around my truck before every storm, make sure nothing is in front of my tires before I rip out of my driveway at 3am
  12. oman1999

oman1999 Senior Member

After every storm all trucks get a front to back check-over in the shop. Fluids topped off, crap cleaned out. Windows cleaned if needed. Lights checked, connections, cables, pins, plow function, tanks topped off, etc.

This has saved thousands in damage every season. Hmmm, this bolt is loose or this pin is missing a lock. Problem solved, money saved.

Things are always going to break during operation, but it pays to check everything you can so that the preventable stuff doesn't happen
  13. nms0219

nms0219 Senior Member

I check after every event. And we do a pre season check this time of year.
  14. TremblaySNOW

TremblaySNOW Senior Member

all my tractors are new, but I always check,tite'n,oil,and clean my equipment before and after the cleaningsnow better safe than sorry
  15. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I do a check-over before I plow everytime.
  16. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

I check engine oil, trans fluid and plows ATF other then that I just hit the highway...
  17. TremblaySNOW

TremblaySNOW Senior Member

its the only way to be safe
  18. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Would someone please explain this to my wife? :dizzy:

Big storm just before Christmas last year, I go to start the 81, dead starter. Hour later I had a used one from a buddy in. Great fun in 3 inches of snow. Get the 81 going, lose the wiper motor. Left it at the job and went home. This was a doozy of a storm. So I come back home in the 97 to get a little rest. Too dangerous to drive. I leave the truck running for a three hour nap.

Wow was she ugly.:realmad: :gunsfiring:
  19. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

It's better to really check your equipment over after your done plowing that way you have time to fix it before the next storm. We walk around our equipment when done when farming or plowing and again before startup.
  20. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Never did.. unless something was going to be over 3'

I did look at the window before I got in the shower to make sure the truck started with the remote starter.