1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How many inches can my setup push?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Tweak, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Tweak

Tweak Junior Member

I've got a 2001 GMC 2500HD with Fisher 8' HD plow, minutemount.

Just wondering what the max ammount of snow you think would be feasible for this setup.
    Thanks

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

with a fisher about an inch.:dizzy:

3. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

About 2" if you put a 1000 pounds of corn ballast in the back..

4. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

seriously...way to many factors for anyone to be able to give you a response....best advice is plow with the storm don't wait until its over.

5. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Well I have pushed snow that was up to the mirrors or a little higher with my truck, mind you that wasnt a long push either. We have a similar set up too. It is all in the weight, tires, power and skill of the driver. Some guys have issues in 2", but that is mostly operator error.

6. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Well it all depends.. traction (tires& ballast), snow type ( dry vs wet) and whats under your tires (gravel, asphalt or ice).

I always plow with the storm and take as much in your cut as the conditions allow.

You can push more at a steeper blade angle.

If your looking to for a depth to start, go out with 2-3 inches and see how she does from there.

Good luck experimenting,
    Yaz

7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I've done 12" of wet & heavy, on a half mile of private road with a similar setup - 2500HD Silverado, 6.0 auto, studded Cooper M&S tires, 8' MMII and about 500 pounds of ballast. Brand new plow and kept at full angle. I wouldn't recommend it, though. Especially, I wouldn't recommend stopping until you get to the end or a place to push off.

8. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

I had two drifts that were over the tops of my window on the passenger side two years ago, i'd recommend plowing less than that, its a little tricky

9. lumps

lumps Senior Member

Along with the factors above, it depends what you're plowing. Is it a 20' long driveway that you can run with the blade at full angle for? Or a 200 yard long parking lot that you have to push all to one end? Makes a bit of difference in how much snow it'll handle, haha.

10. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Basically it all comes down to Experience.

11. Tweak

Tweak Junior Member

Thanks to those who gave a serious response to my question.

12. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Think about it!
    Was it really a serous question?

how much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?

13. Tweak

Tweak Junior Member

Do people post questions that they dont want answers to?

I for one, don't waste my or other peoples time writing posts for no reason other than entertainment.

I realize there are a handful of smartasses on here now.
    Point taken, and a big thanks for shedding light in that regard.

14. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Really is this a serous question or is he just really naive?

To many variables :dizzy:
    gee lets see,,, tires, weight, snow, temp, flat, down hill, up hill, experience etc etc...

we all have a$$ and a few of us are even smart.

there is a lot of humor, some sarcasm and some very good help it does come in a variety of packages.

If you had a real question you would have gotten a lot of very good help form people like my self with years of experience pushing snow.

latterpumpkin:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
  15. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

My cap is 12" and I am pushing and ill be back for another round when its done. You can do more than that but it just starts taking too long to do each drive. Commercials get done with the storm, and if they are closed overnight they wont get touched till 4am or so (they are small) so whatever the amount may be they wait. BUT DON'T LET THE WALKWAYS GO TOO LONG. THEY CAN KILL A GOOD MAN.

16. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Ok, for those who plow residential maybe you can help me out.

If you have a 4" snow fall on the ground and go plow then get 2" more and have to plow again do you charge twice?

For instance, I was going to quote out a drive tonight that was 75' long and 3 cars wide. Slightly down hill to the street, but not enough to matter. What would you quote, and how would you word it?

17. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

i wont this for my sig how would i do that ?

18. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

yes every time you plow you get paid . if its a per push deal think do you wont to plow a $ 25 - 40 dollar job 2-3 times for free

19. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If your in it to make a profit you do. And you want to word it "per push", since that's what you want paid for.

20. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

quote it. then copy it, then paste it in your sig line.

have fun