1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How many iches of snow before plowing a residential driveway

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Figueiredo, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Figueiredo

Figueiredo Junior Member

I was just wondering how many inches before people want them to plow there driveways because out of my 16driveways some want me to only plow if there is 6in or more and some want me to plow when theres 2in or more what do u think about that

2. lawnmasters2006

lawnmasters2006 Senior Member

thats why we dont mess w home owners...waste of time...:gunsfiring:

3. MOWBIZZ

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

you set the rate you want to plow at...your 2" customers have determined that you will plow them at that snowfall amount by the very fact that you have agreed to do it...your other customers, well you should have said that your trigger was 2"

Rewrite your contracts/agreements for next year to be in line with what you want not what they want...I know...sometimes easier said than done. :rolleyes:

4. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

The other problem you're sure to run into is that when you get 5" the people with a 6" trigger are going to be on your butt asking why you didn't plow them out. That happened to me a lot when I first got going but now I do everyone at 2"+. A lot less hassle that way...

5. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

well my gravel drives r on when ever i feel like i wont push all there gravel off. my normal drives r at 2inchs. but i get nervous so anything right around there gets plowd so they get better service. go with contracts and do ur own thing. ur the professional

6. 6feetdeep

6feetdeep Senior Member

This is the very reason I will have contracts for all my residential customers, $XX per season, I will clear driveway at 2" of snow, as I do with my commercial accounts. Anyone that doesn't agree will be looking for a new contractor. Yesterday we got 3" in one half of the county, and 4-5" on the other side of town, people were calling me to plow them out, two told me there wasn't enough snow when I got there, and one shoveled their own driveway before I got there. Not dealing with it next year, pay me the same every month, and I will take care of it when I deem it is necessary. Drives me nuts!!

7. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

I plow about 15 of my drives at apx. 4'' and 2 drives at 2'' and the rest are call when needed

I just started a punch card this year when you pay for 10 the 11th is free and it seems to be working well (res. accounts only)

I only have 4 comm. accounts and the rest are res. accounts

The school that I plow at is to be plowed after only 1'' of snow

This only what I do.... you should do what you feel is needed

I also have a chart 1-4''= $XXXX $Base price
    5-8''=$XXXX Add $5-10 on base price
    8-12''=$XXXX Add $10-20 on base price

The way I think of it, the more snow & drifts, the more time & fuel spent, so I charge more

Good luck, Yon

8. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I have 96 Res accounts
    10 have no tollerance for snow (1/2 triger)
    80 have 2" trigger
    6 have 4" trigger
    O ya if its a dence wet snow with falling temps then 60 of the 80 have a 1 inch trigger

Its not rocket scince... Its knowing your customer

9. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

I think most guys on here uses the 3" or more trigger for drives and 2" for commercial.

10. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

Same here, 3" and as Meister said, you get to know your customers.

11. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

payup im out at 3 inches

12. just plow it

just plow it Senior Member

Home owners piss me off, I wave a few and I am supposed to plow at 1 inch but get there to plow and 1/2 the time they shovel it out themselves, I still charge them $30 just for the trip out there. I cant waste my time looking to see who got ambitious enough to shovel. They could at least call me and let me know. Sorry, Just had to vent.

13. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I only do one res drive and it gets done after all my commercial lots are done. Some times I won't get to it till after noon and she has gone to work. I usually get a call when she gets up at 7:00 in the morning wanting to know when it will be done. I tell her there is a shovel hanging in the garage, knock yourself out or it will be done buy the time you get home from work. You have a decked out Expedition in the garage use it! :jester:

14. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

i take it ur wife dosent let u sleep in the bed when u ome home from plow? thou ur probably to tired to care that couch looks good anyway and u dont have to tell it u love it. even thou u do what man dosent love his couch well enless his wife baught it

15. mnormington

mnormington Senior Member

One man's waste of time is another man's bread and butter.

16. dunlaps lawncare

dunlaps lawncare Senior Member

2 in trigger for res drivs

17. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

2 Inch trigger w/ all except 1 which is at 1.5 inches.
    Anyone who approves salt gets salted w/ ANYTHING less than the plow trigger.

18. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

2" trigger here for me on every residential. No more phone calls to ask any of them, "there's less than 3 but it's gonna freeze tonight... want it done?"

19. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

If you didn't want me to plow it after 2" then you didn't want me to plow it at all.
    2" trigger all day, every day. I would go lower, but never higher.

20. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

6"? You're joking, right?

Seriously, you are joking, right?