1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how many hours is too many?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by elite1msmith, Oct 1, 2008.

1. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

im in the market for a used skidsteer, having never bought a used one, whats an "average amount of hours that these things become unreliable?

i know small equiptment like mowers has like a 2000 hours, and at that point it starts to become questionable... how many does a skid loader have? i saw a few that had like 5000 hours, they looked nice, but i didnt know how much longer they had in their life cycle

2. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

I rarely buy used, and when I have, it always needed something. We have a Bobcat with 2200 hours, and havent had any major issues with it, just small PITA crap like hydro hoses bursting from rubbing over the years, nothing major really. One of our 257's caught on fire at 250 hours, and had numerous problems before we returned it for a new one, it was resold by the dealer as new-so you never know based on the hour meter really.

3. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

Bigger tractors (of any type) can take a lot more hours than smaller tractors.

So, on a medium SS, I wouldn't buy anything more than 2000 hours. It isn't worn out, but ti's certainly on the downside of it's life. You notice a LOT of SS's for sale with 2000 hours on them. Ever wonder why that is?

Bigger ones may be better, but even a really big SS only has a 100hp engine, I would consider that still pretty small.
    I would figure that a 40 to 70hp tractor to be pretty worn out at 4000 hours. Might still run, but it's probably got a ton of money in it.

I'd bet you could get some decent deals on equipment with under 500 hours on them, and that would be good to go.

JMHO

4. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

iv alway operated new, but thats not in the budget , and i think im about done wasting money on new equiptment, that depreates quickly

like i have said before, i have run amost every peace of equiptment i can think of, including large cranes for the bee's but as an owner, have little experiance with anything bigger than a skid, or meduim tracktor... and never bought those used...

Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
  5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Stay under 2000 hrs and look for something well maintained. You can tell how well maintained it is by checking the loader pins for wear, if the guy didn't bother to grease it everyday he didn't bother to maintain much else. JMO

6. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

If you find a piece of used equipment you are interested in, take some oil sample and have them analyzed. Call any big heavy equipment dealer, and they can tell who does sampling in your area.

7. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

I have a used skid steer with a plow for sale for $9k. Has about 5300 hours, and run great. We haven't had any issues with it. Also have a dirt bucket for it.

eric@chicagomastercraft.com if your interested.

8. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

i keep hearing the same thing as far as hours go on a SS. i would say buying from a landscaping company would be the way to go. they only really lift things and dig in the dirt. concrete companys beat the piss outta there stuff. and also have used breakers on them which wreak havoc on every moving joint.

9. cornerstone

cornerstone Member

I agree with you. We bought a small used one (1200hrs.) from a dealership. A farmer traded it in, the thing was like new. We also purchased a New Holland LX 985 with 4000hrs. A landscape co. traded in a pair of them for new LS190's. The dealer did a complete service before we received it. Ran great no problems. Sold that and now have the JD 280 2-speed purchased with 2000 hrs. and original paint.
    One thing my father who's a farmer taught me, if it's been repainted, run! I won't buy anything used with a new paint job, it's a dead give away. I think it's Goodall on ebay, he offers to repaint them but lets you see/purchase them before refurbish. Concrete splash on the bucket and or machine is also a warning along with a new bucket. I wonder, what happened to the old bucket?
    When we sold the LX 985 on ebay I appologized to the the guy when he came to pick it up for not washing it. Grease all over the hinge points dust etc... He said I'm glad you didn't, now I know the machine was greased on a regular basis.
    OK, I'm done rattling now.

10. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

Stay under 2000 hours and look for cracks in the welds and check the pins. You can tell if its been greased or not fairly easily.

11. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

2000 is the magic number at the company I work for. gets a coat of paint and a trip to the auction.

12. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

Not all landscape co's!!!! Companies like brickman that keep there brand new SS's in the sea contianers full of salt get trashed in under a year and they usally dump them that same year because they are ate up!

13. salopez

salopez Senior Member

yep around here brickman owns there winter skids for 6 months then takes them back to the dealer....who sells them cheap!

you might want to look into new really. with 0 financing for 50 months it might be cheaper then used if you look at the total cost.

14. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I used to work for a company that traded in at 1k hours or so. Know another guy that does 2k. I really think it's per machine and how it was treated. 2k hours really isn't that much. But if the machine was beat to crap, or used often in certain terrains or conditions, it is................not even just the engine, but the machine itself. Every brand will have pro's and cons, different stress points, etc. I wouldn't be scared of a well maintained machine with 5-6k hours if it was tight and priced right. You can rack up 2k hours in a year if it ran 8 hours a day.

15. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

whoa... whoa... whoa... fella's
    cash is king !
    graet deals to be had out there

16. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

oops...sorry.."great deals"; $%it happens

17. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I would look for something in the 1500 hour range then you can probably run it for another 1500 before you start to have big $$$$ problem break downs.
    But once its payed for who cares if you have to dump a couple thousand in to it, its still cheaper than a new one