1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? Explore this quick video tour of updates and enhancements. It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How many hours do you have on your skidsteer?????

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by AmesLandscaping, Feb 10, 2010.

1. I have been plowing this season with skidsteers....I have been renting....Looking at buying this year.... What I have learned is if you have a high lift machine... they will work you to death cleaning and loading trucks... machines like bobcat 873's, s250, s300.... case 70, 75, 85 ,90xt's and 430, 445, machines...... You can load big tandem dump trucks...I have been around the bobcat brand for some time...The s250 I have been running had 800 hrs on it...but had alot of boom play... the s300 has 3000hours was tight all the way around....felt the same power wise...just a little more power turning with a loaded bucket on the s-300 over the s-250 ... I prefer foot over hand controls but can run any of them.... The bobcats seems to drink more fuel than the case's.... all machines hold 21 to 24 gallons are should run 8hrs on a tank... bobcats seem to only get 6 or 7...and this is not running 100% at full throttle all the time... I am also considering the larger john deere machines.... from specs they seem to lift 6 to 12 inches higher than bobcat or case's.... I will have between $12,000 and $17,000 to spend in Oct of this year from grass cutting... I see machines from 300hrs to 7000hrs in this price range.... yeah lets go with a lower hr machine..:) But really I did not see a huge difference from the low hr s-250 to the 3000hr s-300...... all the case were 500 to 1200 hr machines.... they all seemed the same... So tell me some info on your skid... thanks Alex from kansas city!

2. 04chevy2500

04chevy2500 Senior Member

we have an bobcat s300 w 1359 hrs, bobcat 873 w 3657 hrs. and a john deere 332 w approx 600 hrs.

i like the controls on the john deere. it doesnt require you to push as far forward and i think the cab is more comfortable. all 3 of these machines will load a ten wheeler or a tri-axle. you are correct about the deere lifting higher however. the deer is the most powerful by far then the 300 then the 873. the 2-speed in the deere also seems a little faster and more powerful.

as always, make sure that you have dealer support in your area for whichever brand you choose.

3. snobgone

snobgone Senior Member
    from CT

What other applications will you use it for? The bobcats kick butt, the 250 that had slop had most likely been abused. We rip the high flo s250, 873s, 773s, s300s and they all have been good to us. When we look for used, low hours, maintenance records, dealer support all come into play. It really comes down to preference.

4. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

We have almost 5500 hours on our new Holland.

5. We do constrution demo work also.... I was layed off from my job this year of 17 years... I have been there since the day I got out of high school... I talked them into a bobcat for constrution rough in clean up and other demo work... They gave me a check and I bought a 773 G... brand new... had it for 2 years... made them a but load of money... then thru the company I started helping another company loading trucks on new house sites.... 773 would not load big tandem trucks... so this guy wanted me to help out and he paid good... so the boss said well see what they will give you.... in on trade for a bigger machine... well they gave us a great deal and I got a new 873 LOADED:) cab, heat, air.... I could then keep up with this guys 85xt's.... bobcat work was good till a few years ago.... then it just really came to a stop..... people did not want to spend the extra money for a machine a few guys vs 10 guys cleaning up rough in trash and tearing down buildings... so the 873 turned into a snow pusher...... over the last 2 years... I was one of the kings of clean up with all my dump trucks and trash triailers in the kansas city area....... so last fall the boss decides for taxes reason to trade the 873 in and get a new s-250 fully loaded...the 873 had like 1500hrs on it and they gave him $ 15,000 for it and he wrote a check for the difference on the new one... it has everything you could get... even the new sirus radio system.... his son has used it 4 times to push snow....:( it sets now in a heated shop..... I don't even know the touch pad controls to start this unit....... I have been layed off for 6 months this go around... we did work for3 months this past summer.... I make about $45,000 there a year... this year I made $11,000 . I started there making $5.00 hr.in 92'/93'.. I make $20.00 ...........well did ... .... But for the last 5 years I have been cutting grass.... and other landscaping, land clearing jobs.... and started doing snow...... I made a good reputaion for the work I did in the past.... It's really hard to find a job with no college degree.... people ask for a resume.... I tell them I have been at the same job for 17years and they say yeah right... I did get a job at bnsf railways last year... but after 3 months of testing... going from 800, to 125 to 28... I was there #1 guy.... was supposed to start jan 3 of 09'.... dec 29 th on my bros b-day I get a call and said sorry... do to being color blind they had to let me go before i ever started.... I was applying for a in shop mech job... and they new from day one I was color blind..... I was pissed!!!!!! I have applied at over 60 jobs in the last 6 months... NOTHING.... So I guess I might have to take a $8 to $12 hr job... and get 2x the grass cutting stuff... and a skid loader and start doing dirt and snow work with it.... If I get another job... I have enough people to still send a machine out and pay them $20 hr to run it and I put the rest away in the winter time...... It's tough out there now a days...... Sorry to drag that out so long...:)

6. snobgone

snobgone Senior Member
    from CT

Rough one. There is opportunity in the green industry, the grass always grows and it always snows and good companies are looking for dedicated guys like you. And, the college degree doesnt matter so much, esp. if you are a great operator and hard worker. Good luck with that brother. I wonder if the ADA would like to hear your story about the dicrimination regarding your vision, that seems wrong. If you could perform the job, you
    should have had it. Quick story to keep u positive, I started raking leaves for a guy right out of high school and thought it was a joke. He is now my partner and as we speak I have about 100 people out plowing and shoveling....never would have thought. Perserverance pays off is the point.

7. JaimeG

JaimeG Senior Member

2002 Deere 260-1000 hours
    2005 Deere 325-800 hours
    2007 Deere 325-less than 200
    2008 New Holland L180-less than 200

8. sidthss

sidthss Senior Member
    from GR MI

'07 S-175: 275hrs
    '09 S-175: 14.5hrs
    '09 S-175: 55hrs
    '09 S-175: 62hrs

9. Rat_Power_78

Rat_Power_78 Senior Member

Got rid of a New Holland LS170 last year at 2600 hours. Bobcat S250 that replaced it is at around 350. If you think a tank of fuel in 6 or 7 hours pushing snow is bad, I burn through a tank in around 4 hours or so doing dirt work/grading. The bobcat is a decent machine with relatively good visibility for the size, but I prefer New Holland. The arms sit lower on the NH allowing better side visibility, and they seem to have more leg room.

10. obenauf

obenauf Junior Member

11. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

im going to speak up for Case, i LOVE my Cases, very tuff machines. 40xt Case 1698hrs, 1840 Case, 4980hrs, and i know some guys that have Cases houred into the 10 000hrs!!!

12. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

My S300 is getting up there in hours.... about 310.... LOL
    Robert

13. SMLCAT

SMLCAT Member

CAT 252 about 475 hours on it..

14. hndswthtshdws

hndswthtshdws Junior Member
    from Canada

John Deere 325, hand controls, with about 500 hours on it. Used in our poultry ban and for random farm work. Like it alot. Highlift is awesome for stacking (manure in our case, but still), 2 speed is fantastic for long pushes, everything is tight. Dislikes are the manual controls. After a few hours you start feeling your wrists. Would probably not be an issue with foot controls (but I hate JD skid foot controls) or with electro over hydraulic controls.

15. Thank you !!!!!

16. Now I do know that they made a change in S-250's about 2 years ago... the engine fan now is activated now by a thermostat.and by a hyd motor.... it does not run directly anymore... reason where to 1 be better on fuel and another was noise I was told...my rentals I have had 1 of each... and the newer s-250 does do a little better on fuel... and is quieter for sure

17. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

2003 JD 250-700hrs. Fantastic machine.

18. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

S300 Gold Package 2005 has approx 1600 hours.

19. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

1998 763 w/ 2300 hrs.
    2007 S250 w/ 800 hrs.
    2002 S250 w/ 4500 hrs. when I traded it in Dec. 2006.

I burn almost exactly 2 gallons of fuel per hour pushing in 2 speed at WFO with the 250. I just got done plowing for the better part of 2 days with it and put 22 hrs on the meter. There is some idle/warm up time in there, but I only used about 35 gallons of fuel. The tank is supposedly 20 gallons. If you can't make it 8 hrs. on a full tank, it may have a Duetz? Or just disregard the fuel light for the first hour or 2, it comes on fairly early. The older 250 I listed had the Duetz, I can't seem to recall how it was on fuel because I never plowed with it, but I can tell you that it smoked terribly compared to any of the Kubota's I've used. It was actually the main reason I bought a new one, I couldn't let the Duetz run in the shop for more than 30 seconds w/o smoking the whole shop out. The little Kubota in teh 763 could probably run all day in the shop & pollute less than a torpedo heater.

As for the slop, I can't remember much anymore, but I think I recall noticing alot less slop in the new 250 coming from the old one. If it's just the main bucket pivot that has the slop, I wouldn't worry about it. They designed a ton of play in there, just grease it heavy.

20. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

x2 on both comments.

I've run a Bobcat S330 and a Deere 332, both doing the exact same work in the same conditions. If I had to pick one, I'd be in a Deere. Just wish the Deere had a radio like the Bobcat did. :D

The farm I work at has a Bobcat S185, around 1900hrs on it.
    The Deere 332 is sometimes around, about 130hrs on it. :dizzy: (and its 3+yrs old)