1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How many hours can you plow?

Discussion in 'Snow Management Safety & Training' started by J_Bryant, Dec 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J_Bryant

J_Bryant Member

I'm planning my plow schedule this year, Looks like i will be going out in the truck from midnight til 8am, and then hopping on the ATV and doing a few around my home, and riding the ATV down the road to a few places.... I was just wandering what was the longest any of you guys have plowed without getting completely whooped. Last year one time i stayed up all night, went out about 2 am with snow-blowers in the back of the truck, Me and a buddy drove around doing drives with the snow-blowers for about 9 hours, then came home ate, then went sledding with the Lil ones... Then came home and slept for 11 hours strait

2. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

When I was younger I did 48 hours straight came come and slept for almost 27 hours since then I won't do more than 18 hours

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Plow till I'm done.

4. Cover Guy

Cover Guy Senior Member

I'm with grandview

5. J_Bryant

J_Bryant Member

well for the first plow, i will be done by 11, but im gonna keep driving the atv around looking for people who hadn't been plowed out yet

6. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Sooo..... 2 minutes then back to bed.?

7. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

36 hrs sleep for 4hrs and in a loader for 18 hrs pushing snow back farther or loading and haul this was in Feb 2011

8. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

OMG! Thats funny!:laughing:

9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

That's what his wife his wife told us.

10. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

I plow until I'm done plowing.

11. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

How many hours can I plow?........all of them

12. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

I've been in the seat for over 60 straight. I wouldn't recommend it.

13. blazer2plower

blazer2plower Senior Member

33 hrs straight plowing and then went to work for 12 hours I will not do that ever again

14. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I plow till I'm done as well. I think, if I remember right, the longest stint I've ever done was something like 34 hrs straight plowing. Went home, slept for about 3 hours and went and did snow removal for another 14. I won't do it again unless something goes very very wrong.

15. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

I honestly can go without sleep, people think I'm a robot or something. My wife doesn't know how I do it.

16. awgolasplowing

awgolasplowing Member

2.5 days plowing slept 10 Hrs then back out for 16hrs running the loader removing the snow banks. And I would love to have that much snow again vs. what we have now!:mad:

17. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

i had a simular thread earlier. the consensus was plan for a 5 hour route for urgent ones. when you get hit and have to do it multiple times you wont have people complaining that you did it twice with others complaining that you didnt come till it was 12 inches.

then you can add on the ones that dont care if you come during the day

18. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

I believe 50 hours a few seasons back, it was right after I first started plowing. I wasn't tired, until I took a shower, then it was game over. I think I only slept for like 12 hours or so to recoup. And was still tired for the next day or two.

19. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

I plow until the storm is over. I've done 32 Hrs, slept for 4 hours then went back to stack snow/re-salt for another 10 hours.

20. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

We follow the towns lead generally plow til 9 or 10 at the latest, then start back at it at 2 am ussually. Everyone needs to sleep at some point. Most of our truck have V plows, then loaders or blowers. It is safer to let the snow build up durring.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.