Snow Plowing Forum banner

How many hours between Oil changes?

15K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  kg4cpj 
#1 ·
I've searched with out much luck....

Me and a buddy were discussing today, he seems to think we change our oil in our equipment to often...

How many hours in between oil changes?
Both Winter and Summer...loaders, dozers, and dumps more specifically...

Thks CMO

#3 ·
chris_morrison;1035332 said:
I've searched with out much luck....

Me and a buddy were discussing today, he seems to think we change our oil in our equipment to often...

How many hours in between oil changes?
Both Winter and Summer...loaders, dozers, and dumps more specifically...

Thks CMO
It all depends on lots of variables:age of engine,which engine,what type of oil-dino or synthetic,type of service-moderate or severe,etc.Do yourself a favor and go to a oil testing lab like Schaeffers or Cat and have them test yours.Then you won't be guessing.

#4 ·
tuney443;1035471 said:
It all depends on lots of variables:age of engine,which engine,what type of oil-dino or synthetic,type of service-moderate or severe,etc.Do yourself a favor and go to a oil testing lab like Schaeffers or Cat and have them test yours.Then you won't be guessing.
I'm not guessing, and have no plans on changing my maintenance schedule. What works for me might not work for others...

just a little discussion that went on, and I wanted to see what everyone else is like.

#6 ·
All my tractors get New oil filters every 100 hours and a full oil change every 200hours. My bale wagon gets a full oil change every 100 hours. When I buy a new truck I change the oil at 1500 miles, 3k miles, 5k miles then every 5k miles after that. I use to send my oil to Schaeffers and they said I was fine to go well over 5k miles but better safe than sorry.
Robert

#8 ·
Ok,

We have a highway truck that does a schedule run every week, 5000kms. It's only home one day a week. The one day its home is a sunday, do we bring our mechanic in 4 times a month overtime to change the oil or should we go 10,000kms, 20,000kms etc...

That is what started the discussion, as my pal said highway tractor can easily go 25g+km before needing an oil change....

IMO, twice a month is perfect

#10 ·
for us
little tractors and skid steers go 150 hours on dino, 225 on synthetic for engine oil and filters. air filters as needed. (more often in summer, less in winter)
the bigger tractor (TN75) has a maintenance interval of 300 hours for dino. (part of why bigger tractors are cheaper to run)
greased every 25 hours for all.

diesel pickups go 6000 miles for oil and filter (dino), every 12k for fuel filter.

diesel big trucks go 10,000 miles for oil and filter (dino)

part of this is the maintenance interval. Part of this is it's easy to remember (10k miles)

#11 ·
Amsoil

Checkout the Amsoil website and look up you equipment they will tell you how long to run their fluids. if you have any questions I could help you with just ask. If you would like some info on Amsoil contact me and I can email you some info. in regards to cost and oil analysis. With the oil analysis Amsoil can tell you if you need to change your fluid or even just the filter. Also I can tell you how to get Amsoil at wholesale cost for your company. Shoot me an email and I can give you all the details if you are interested. email me at dakotasynthetics@gmail.com

Thanks for your time.

Jayar
Dakota Synthetics
ZO# 1712462
dakotasynthetics@gmail.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.