1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How many having issues with paint bubbling?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by RobbieB, Feb 5, 2009.

1. RobbieB

RobbieB Senior Member

My 05 F250's paint is bubbling just aft of the rear driver's wheel well along the well itself. My work has 4 other 250 2wd's ranging from 99 to 03 and ALL of them are either bubbled and rusting or rotted through. My boss plans on having me drop it off at the body shop in the spring to get fixed so I'm thinking since this has already been repainted once I may have them replace the panel. Is this normal for this beast?

2. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

On an 05 I would not consider it to be normal unless you drive in salt all the time and never rinse the salt off. I've had 6 year old trucks and never saw any rust - but I always rinse it off after a day of plowing. Better to have a coat of ice from water than have that salt munching away.

3. RobbieB

RobbieB Senior Member

I have seen plenty of older trucks without this but it's in an area where there's two pieces of steel pinch welded so I know it's in behind the outer panel.

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Have an '02 that's pretty much rusted through. Not too happy, although this might be a good excuse to mount the service body I have for it.

5. bluerage94

bluerage94 Senior Member

I have one spot where the paint is bubbling, and the front bumper has been re-painted but now needs to be re-painted again....

6. broncscott

broncscott Senior Member

I have 2 2000 f 350s with rust bubbles on the rear wheelwell's

7. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

My black 2000 F350 has it bad around the bed wheel wells and behind the wheel wells down at the bottom. Also down low on my doors and the lower rear cab corner has it too. I heard black is the worst for this.
    Does anybody have any good solutions or repairs? I have considered sand blasting and then bed liner.

8. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

better fix that fast or your truck would be look like our 01 F250 no plow. It have 255K miles so best is keep wash salt off which we didn't do so that how it happened. First it got bubble like you say. How it happened when some tiny object have sharp and dig in it then water get in then expansive. Collision shop told me that.

[​IMG]

9. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

your rust answer

i have an 04 f250 4x4 no problems yet but if you read the owners manual it says that rust on these trucks is lifetime warranty my owner manual does

10. Milwaukee

real

Dealer won't replace bed on our 01 F250 because our warranty expire.

11. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

the rust is lifetime warranty on the truck check your owners manual

12. Milwaukee

You sure? My Dad say it was 5 years warranty but he is check owner manual tomorrow.

13. RobbieB

RobbieB Senior Member

Ford won't cover the rust unless it's eaten through the metal. I'm getting mine fixed in the spring, new patch panel for $596.

14. massfirefighter

massfirefighter Senior Member
    from mass.

Can you scan and post this paragraph from the manual? I have an '04 as well but I don't have the warranty manual, only the main manual and powerstroke supplement. The main manual says to see the warranty manual for corrosion coverage.

15. massfirefighter

massfirefighter Senior Member
    from mass.

I found this online.Corrosion Coverage
    Under your New Vehicle Limited Warranty, Corrosion Coverage begins at the
    warranty start date and covers body sheet metal panels against corrosion
    due to a defect in factory-supplied materials or workmanship. Corrosion coverage
    (which lasts for 5 years, regardless of miles driven) only applies if the
    corrosion causes perforation (holes) in body sheet metal panels