1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how many have exhaust on there plowing rigs?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by the new boss 92, Dec 5, 2009.

1. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

how many have them? i have a mixed route of commercial and resi's. im alittle worried about them bitchin' about the noise level from it. any one have any problem with this? i also have a standard trans so alittle more noisier then a auto.
  2. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

IMO, "performance" exhaust systems are usually associated with noisey systems, this doesn't have to be the case, you can easily gain flow, without a whole lot of noise. Hi-flow cats are a nice way to increase performance,keep noise down, and still remain emissions compliant.

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

The more attention you draw to yourself the more attention will be paid to you.
  4. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Drill a 1--1 1/2 inch hole in a potato and stuff into the exhaust pipe... Much quieter.!!!!
  5. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

I wouldnt worry about it. I think the people are mored worry about getting there drive plowed. And doing a nice job. :nod:
  6. Tiflawn

Tiflawn Member

Thank god I dont have to fill that beast with fuel from the MIDDLE EAST!

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

What? As already stated performance doesn't mean LOUD. Loud is annoying for everyone.
  8. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

My 95 GMC dump is LOUD. Fully built SBC with ceramic headers, 3" Y, punched out cat, and a Flowmaster 40 series. It wouldn't be that bad if the cam I put in it wasn't so big. :) I only do shopping plazas with it, so noise isn't a factor. If I did driveways with it, I would definitely make it quieter. But I don't, so let it roar. [​IMG]

It turns heads everywhere and I always get compliments on it being the nastiest sounding work truck.

If nothing else, it helps me stay awake.
  9. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I sure do. And I do a good bit of residentials too. No one complains since they know when i am there to plow and a few of my customers have diesel trucks that are much louder than my truck. And I can rattle the windows with the right amount of pedal, lol. Never lost a single person over it either. And I have the loudest mufflers flowmaster has right now, other than the single chamber race mufflers, lol. But then again quite a good bit of guys have performance exhausts on their trucks.
  10. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

I have a 4" mbrp turboback on my truck. Sounds great never gets annoying. I plow all commercial lots so noise at 2am isnt a problem.
  11. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

I run straight pipes..My resi. customers love me...Oh wait they all quit. I wonder why???
  12. lumps

lumps Senior Member

I wouldn't do it. Think about how you'd feel if someone showed up outside your bedroom window and revved an exhaust-less truck for 20 mins in the middle of the night. Gotta think about neighbors too, and not just your own customers.
  13. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

Me too, and i wish it was a little louder.
    The last few years i had a chevy with a 496 in it with a really loud exhaust but i was nice with the gas pedal and never had a call about it.
  14. Premier

Premier Senior Member

High flow is good, quiet is good for residentials, we run magnaflow cats and there version of a cherry bomb on our 92. not to loud and sounds good. on our 01 we had a gibson exhaust system not much noiser than stock, it fell off this summer so im putting on a flowmaster 40 3" in dual 2 1/2" out. If you are conserned with the noise i would go with the split rear system that is the one we had,
  15. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

One year at 1:30am my entire exhaust fell off an old 2500 tried to run it with the open hooker headers, but after 2 drives I just couldn't bear subjecting the public to it any longer and had to go grab my dodge. Dear god, was it awful to drive around in.
  16. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I had a guy 2 years ago doing one of our condo places and he had cherry bombs and they called after 2 storms or so and told me not to have him come back.
  17. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

Speak for yourself :laughing::gunsfiring:
  18. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Yup, that's my opinion also. Your own customers may bear with the noise, but the neighbors may not. If your long term plan is to grow your accounts & try to consolidate the driving, I would take the neighbors into consideration.

I remeber a thread from last winter were a young plow guy was having some big problems with the neighbors while plowing. I think they were calling the cops on him or something? :confused:
  19. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

loud exhaust is unprofessional
  20. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

Mines professionally loud:laughing: