1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How many guys have actually spit a sparkplug on there f250

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by 1fast432, Sep 27, 2009.

1. 1fast432

1fast432 Member

Lookin at buying a 2000 f250 with the v-10 for some residential plowing and pulling my car.I've seen alot of talk of these motors spitting out spark plugs. Has anyone had this problem and have you talked to a ford tech on how to avoid this THANKS NEWBIE.
  2. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I had a 2000 V-10 F-250 and it spit 2 plugs in the time I had it... The only fix I knew for it was to sell the truck and buy something different.

I am guessing that there is a mechanical fix for it as well
  3. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

I got a 2001 and no problems so what ever, I love the truck and its a work dog.

I know they had some problems with the first V-10s but Im pretty sure they got them work out now
  4. berkshire

berkshire Junior Member

I had a 1998 f 250 light duty with an 8 cylinder and blew out a plug last year. My mechanic fixed it for around $300 or so ,it was a plug that was hard to get at so it cost a little more. Normally only a couple hundred but ford does make a special kit just to fix this. They thread the plug hole and add an insert for the plug, mine seemed to hold fine, I sold the truck this spring. This is a common problem.
  5. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

I'm not sure of the years but I know this was Uber-common in the modular v-8's it was remedied after a couple years by ford, by going from 4 threads for each plug to 8 i believe. I'm not sure if there was an updated head for the v-10 but that would be a remedy for it if they are interchangable, like the mod family was originally intended.
  6. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

Berk-ya beat me to it
  7. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

I have 2 v10s and last year i blew one out. It is very common. And it is VERY easy to prevent. All you have to do is make sure that every time you pull the plugs you HAVE to make sure that they are torqued back to the correct setting. If you do not torque them just right they will blow. Thats how you prevent it, and if you do blow it, you can just helicoil iti and its fixed.
  8. Can-Boy

Can-Boy Member

You should be more concerned with manifold studs.These can be nasty and very costly to fix
  9. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

How so? I had 5 broken on mine. Got them all replaced even put headers on instead. All cost about $300, with the headers.
  10. Can-Boy

Can-Boy Member

My guy who I trust said it would be crowding $1000.00 because the stud was broke off inside the head and the head would have to be removed.I will put up with the tick for 6 seconds when cold,before I spend that kind of money!