1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How many good snow days a year does Indy avg?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by oldschoo, Sep 7, 2007.

1. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

How many good snow days would u guys say I can expect in Indianapolis, IN? I'm talking ones good enough that would see enough precip that would cause most folks in residential areas to need/want their driveways cleared? And what is that amount, like 4inch or more? I'd just like to know an avg maybe cause last year sucked! I don't think we had one good snow until late January if I recall right! And then it was maybe like 5-6 good snow days. I used a shuvel only and had 1-2 helpers but this year I plan on adding a blower and have a truck instead of car, which I'm hoping will make it easier to get through the tough snow days. My Riviera got stuck a few times last year and had to work hard to keep the trunk closed with 3 or more shuvels!

2. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

Any Indy vets able to give some clues?

come on, isn't there any Indianapolis people on here? What about Cincinatti, Chicago, or St. Lois? They are similar climates right? How many good snow days do u guys have per year on average? Ideally, I'm seeking Indy plowers and snow removers though. I think we had about 5 or 6 good snow days here in Indy last year, which were very late in the season. I'm not sure if that was good or bad as it was my first year. It would be nice to have about 10 of them, but I'm sure that's on the high side, at least for Indy. But what would u guys say?

3. rayf268

rayf268 Senior Member

thats like asking how much rain will we get next month WHO KNOWS I am in Fort Wanye the year before last we had only 2 plowable events dec 3, dec 20 if I am right. last year I think 4-5 plowable snows but 30miles north or west of here it was 2 times that. I don't think anybody can say other then people in the mountains or farther north if there going to be able to plow in a month.

saying that
    count on 2 snows perpare for 15

good luck :drinkup:

4. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

I didn't even know that 2 years ago it was only 2 plowable events! That's terrible! So if u take the last 2 years then that would be an avg of like 4. :cry:
    Do u recall what it was like the other years before that? I'm trying to get some kinda average. Does anyone else have a broader account of like say the last 5 or 10 years?

5. oldschoo

oldschoo Senior Member

Yeah. I'm not asking for the future, just an avg for some kinda wishful thinking. I think that sounds about right though how u said expect 2 and plan for 15. 15 would be amazing!

6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

You can look up that info on the NWS page.

climate summaries.

7. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

What about the 30" storm last year ? :dizzy:
    I guess everyone down there forgot about that :rolleyes:
    Indy is in a tuff spot for snow, some years they do okay other years it is a bust. The seasonal averages can be miss leading when you get storms like they did last year.
    As an add on service to another business you may do okay. I would not recommend starting up a company with high overhead and expect a quick return on your investment with snow work in Indy.
    If you have the capacity to add De-icing services your on the right track.