1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How many FREE driveways/sidewalks do you plow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by QuadPlower, Jan 17, 2008.

?

How many FREE driveways, commercial lots, or sidewalks do you plow?

1. 1

36 vote(s)
    30.8%
  2. 2

32 vote(s)
    27.4%
  3. 3

20 vote(s)
    17.1%
  4. 4

19 vote(s)
    16.2%
  5. 5 - 10

8 vote(s)
    6.8%
  6. Greater than 10

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  1. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

After reading the "How many contracts do you have?" poll I was amazed at how many Free plowings people do. So my question is, not counting your own driveway or business, how many driveways, commercial lots or sidewalks do you plow during a snow fall. Grandparents, old lady down the street, neighbors, etc.

Forgot to put 0 in the poll. Anyone know how to go back and change that?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  2. ECS

ECS Senior Member

None, 0, zip, nada................................

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Charity work.

I plow the local food bank's lot.
    I do not do the sidewalks:nono:

The spin off has more than covered the cost of doing there lot.

4. Plowin in VT

Plowin in VT Senior Member

1...... MINE!

I tried giving my wife a bill once, and well, you can imagine the reaction!:yow!:

5. ECS

ECS Senior Member

Heck, I don't even do my own. :D :D

6. QuadPlower

I'm plowing one of my residental drives Christmas eve. The old lady that lives next door comes out and asks how much to plow her driveway. I say, "I'll take care of it." She says, "What?" I yell, "I'll take care of it." She says, "What?" I shut off my truck and say, "5 bucks." She nods her head and goes back inside. I finish the customer and start on her's. She hands me a $20. I say "I don't have any change." She says, "Just come back 4 more times." I was willing to do it for free because it was Christmas eve, she is old, and she happens to be a sister of one of my old neighbors that was very good to me. Then I was upset because I was only making $5 a plowing. That was last season and I have been doing it since for that same $20.

Another one I do is a sidewalk. Guy asked me one day how much to do his walk. I tell him. After a conversation, I find out that he is on Social Seceraty and can't pay me right away. By doing his sidewalk it makes it easier for me to do the City sidewalk next to his. So I have not sent him a bill and I just do it.

7. QuadPlower

That's why I said, "Not including your own." in the poll. I still have 5" of snow in my driveway with a couple of 1' drifts. Plumber's faucets leak, mechanic's cars are broken, carpenter's houses are falling down, and Snow plowers don't clear their own driveways.

8. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Low baller ;), just kidding

I do my now ex girlfriends grandma driveway and sidewalks. I've also mowed it for the past 5 years. Very nice lady and she is very greatful, its on my route too so...

Now how many do your employees do that you dont know about :gunsfiring:.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  9. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I do one. My neighbor. She lives by herself and she works late and I know the last think she wants to do is shovel her drive. She never asked me I just do it cause it takes me 2 minutes. When I see her she says thanks and she will make me cookies or a pie every once in a awhile or buy me a six pack or my favorite beer. She also puts up with my dogs that can get a little sir crazy when I am gone for long periods of times. they bark a little...

10. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

None on any kind of basis. I plowed one a couple storms ago when I was going by a lady struggling with her little driveway. Literally took 30 seconds.

11. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

I do mine
    I do the street we live on (private road) which clears out 7 neighbors. I do the neighbor across the street because I use his driveway to turn to back in and out of my lot when I have trailers on. (I only do the part that I smash down), I figure that's more than fair.

I figure I do the street, everyone else can do their drives. There are something like 4 tractors on our road, they can all do each other's, but the street is done so it doesn't pack down.

12. ECS

ECS Senior Member

When I go out to plow, there is a crew of hispanics shoveling away. Where we are staying it is done by the HOA. Where we lived last year, mine was the first one done on my way out to go plowing.

13. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Why is there no "0" on this poll?

14. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Mine, my neighbor, my sister, my grandma....thats all folks

15. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

I do 2 past neighbors who did a lot for me growing up. I also clear the drive for a friend of my parents who opened their house to them for 4 months when they didn't have a place to live. I don't feel any "obligation" because that always leads to resentment; rather, I feel a sense of honor doing something nice in return for all of the nice things done for me

16. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Just my own. Used to do one a few years ago free. :D I got paid rather well when I stopped by later to "visit" with her tho.....

17. tman3007

tman3007 Senior Member

Just 2, my wife's grandma's and my wife's parent's house. Both are pretty close to where we live so it's not a big deal and they really appreciate it. Plus, they're not your typical inlaws, mine are actually really cool.

18. Up North

Up North Senior Member

My mom is the only freebie anymore. I used to do a buddy's house who was fighting over in Iraq so his wife didn't have to worry about getting in or out. He's back now, safe and sound. But I'll tell ya, that was the worst driveway, almost 1/2 long and no windbreaks at all, used to drift in solid really bad. Sure glad he's back.

Buck

19. jeff45

jeff45 Junior Member

i do two of the catholic churches in my neighborhood, my family has been doing it for decades and since i have started plowing i continue with it. its 4 parking lots and 3 driveways total i do for the churches.

20. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I plow a few cheap ones, but the only free one is mine. I figure I'm saving money, so I'm still making money.payup