1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How many folks from CT?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Grant, Nov 30, 2001.

1. Grant

Grant Member

Was just looking at some of the previous posts and different locales, CT seems pretty well covered. An out-of stater would think we were a big snow state!
    BTW- I am not a total newbie to this site, I posted a few times last winter...guess I'm a seasonal member?

2. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

At least a dozen post regularly, including myself, snow, ct18fireman, jcurtis, dino, mdb landscaping, many others.

3. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I tend to think CT is a pretty big snow ares. Not the biggest by far in terms of accumualtion but it seems that there are a lot of contractors in the state. With the state as populated as it is there is plenty of work for us when it does snow.

Stay active here lots of information to be exchanged. Not just with those from CT.

4. wolfie

wolfie Senior Member

I've been plowing here in CT since 1977... I think it's a pretty big snow state.

5. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

I think it is only a big snow state for you guys up there in the hills. Down here on the (south-western) coast near the New York border is like a different state snow wise.

6. guido

guido PlowSite.com Veteran

Born and raised....

In Waterbury, CT! Home of 1 corrupt mayor a decade and voted as one of the top 10 undesireable cities to live in in America!

I lived in a nice little Italian Section though(Town Plot), its going to crap a little at a time, but its still nice for the mose part.

7. ProSno

ProSno Senior Member

Wallingford, Ct

Were here in Wallingford. Snow amount is okay-last year was great.

8. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

I dont theink its the matter of how much snow, but the fact that everyone in CT freaks at a dusting.

9. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Bill hit the nail on the head. Gone are the days when people lived with snow like they do up north. Now with a dusting they want a service level = to a blizzard.
    Dino

10. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

i agree about freaking over a dusting. the weather forecasters make it breaking news, and causes panic.

11. Grant

Grant Member

"Everyone freaks at a dusting"-boy, you can say that again! Thats good, keeps us all busy at the slightest little trace of snow or ice.
    ...and look at all the 4 wheel drive S.U.V.'s in the ditch every storm.

12. plowking35

from SE CT

I was heading to Baltimore the first of March, and we had a few snow sqaulls. I was on 95 leaving New Haven heading south.The roads glazed up pretty quick, but wouldnt you know that the only vehicles in accidents were SUV's. Must have been at least 10 in a 5 mile stretch of 95 in N and S bound lanes. People think that with 4wd you are invincable.
    Like they say, the bigger they are the bigger they crash.
    Dino

13. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Stamford here.....

We may be small in land size and lower in total snowfall accumulation that say Litchfield county or other areas up near the Massachusetts line, but we still get snow....

Trouble down here is that nearly everone seems to own an SUV and they think that 4wd or AWD entitles them to be out on the roads during storms driving like it was the middle of the summer.

Last winter, during the storm New Years Eve weekend, we had a major NEW YORK CITY TV news station mobile unit here in Stamford camped out a a diner, interviewing people driving around. Damn fool was waving people down to ask them what they thought of the storm.

What he should have been asking was "What in God's name are you doing out in this kind of weather"?

One fella he stopped, just said that he was from Europe (I wont mention what country) and he wanted to see what the area looked like during a snow storm.

Now during this storm I plowed each one of my accounts three times, and had to pull over a couple of times just to stop and take a break, clear the windows and keep myself from strangling the darn fools like the x!3x?/* sight seer mentioned above.

I also remember the Blizzard in the 70's the forced the late Gov. Ella Grasso to shut down the state ... NO vehicles on any road unless you were an emergency worker or worked at a hospital. The National Guard was bringing Doctors and nurses to work in 6X6 Deuce and a halfs. Now that was a storm !!!!!

So folks we may not get as much snow as often as say...........
    Salt Lake City, Utah, Lake Placid, NY or Erie, Pennsylvania... But we do get snow.

Alan from Vermont refers to us from CT as Flatlanders and maybe we are... but we also have to deal with alot more freezing rain and ice storms than some of the other folks in the snowbelt areas.... I would rather have double or triple our historical average snowfall than freezing rain or Ice storms.

I remember one Ice storm in I believe it was '74 or '75 I went down West Main Street in Stamford sideways in a truck... and we were barely moving....

NOT AN EASY, BREEZY FEELING !, not at all !

65 degrees today while I was staking my accounts, and mid to high 50's predicted for the next week... Looks like no snow this week

Let it SNOW, Let it SNOW, Let it SNOW :(

14. plowking35

from SE CT

I must say last March when Roland shut the state down, it sure made plowing alot easier.
    Dino

15. 99SDPSD

99SDPSD Senior Member

Well I am from that famed Litchfield County. I remember the 78 Blizzard well With my father having to plow out our place with a Cat D4 Dozer. The state using an 4x4 Oshkosh with a 6 auger snow blower on it clearing route 254. We still get hammered from time to time here but it is home.:cool:

16. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

99 I wasnt trashing Litchfield county, I was merely comparing snowfall ammounts to those here in lower Fairfield county.

You're right, its home and I wouldn't feel at home anywhere else.
    and I have tried!!!

17. wolfie

wolfie Senior Member

I'm in Litchfiels County toos and I remember plowing in 78... I was using a 72 Chevy Blazer with a 7.5 foot Fisher plow... it took me 2 days to get all my accounts plowed but I managed to get them all done and only got stuck a couple of times... Some of the drifts were over 4 feet high!!

18. 99SDPSD

99SDPSD Senior Member

J. Curtis No offence was taken. Last year was great for plowing up here. Where I am is mostly over 1000' above sea level. So we usually get a good amount of snow here. But I would still rather plow snow than mow my lawn (6 acres).