1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How many family teams out there?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Greenmtboy, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Greenmtboy

Greenmtboy Senior Member
    from Vermont

Looking to see how many father son, father daughter, mother daughter, mother son, husband wife or any other family combination of teams there is out there in operation?
    Here, my mother does the paperwork and my father and I tackle the rest with a few employees.

2. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

My dad and I used to run together, he plowed or shoveled, and I did the opposite, back when I was younger. Now he dosnt plow anymore and Im on my own, but Im with my friends doing it now.

3. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Me and son

4. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

Me and the girlfriend, she is great behind the wheel and the customers LOVE her. They pay her extra so I send her out whenever possible lol. She wants her own truck next year I think its a good idea. But I can only hope one day my sons (If i have any) will drive trucks for the company as well.

5. siteworkplus

siteworkplus Senior Member
    from mass

me ,wife 22yr old college son(when i can wake him up) mother does books and invoicing(swear she's embezzeling all my cash,seems to go on alot of trips around the country)

6. hedhunter9

hedhunter9 Senior Member

The wife and I both plow. She has her own truck.. But she wants a jeep for the small condo driveways !

7. Canplow

Canplow Senior Member

:laughing::laughing: Back when you were younger Your 17 :laughing::laughing:

8. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Me and my wife( when she feels sorry for me),one nephew drives one of my trucks, his brother works the snowblower, their cousin and my nephew drives his truck with sidewalk crew. Their uncle and my brother in law plows for me in his truck. My brother drives for me from time to time.Other brother in law is on board this year.Niece's husband runs a snowblower.Have 2 nephew's age 6 yrs and 9 months that will take me right into retirementThumbs Up Even I'm confused :eek:

9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Come on now,he's a man now he took the booster seat out last season!

10. Canplow

Canplow Senior Member

And I didn't mean any disrespect at least you want to work unlike most kids your age! Keep up your motivation It will get you some where! But I'm still laughing!:laughing::laughing:

11. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

Wife runs a sidewalk crew, one step son runs another sidewalk crew, another step son is in grade 11 but runs a sidewalk crew if there is enough snow to take him out of school or if it hits on a weekend. I run a commercial plow route and a friend runs the bobcat on the same route. Wife does all the paperwork all winter long as well.

12. windrowsnow

windrowsnow Senior Member
    from nw ohio

my brother and i use to run with our ol man, then i took everything over and now its me and my brother and about six other guys under us. were 26 and 22 and been pushing snow since in car seats!

13. 60Grit

60Grit Senior Member

My wife will come out only if she's in a skid surprisingly. She'll clear parking ramp decks needing poly edges.

14. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Everybody works for me is family Father, Aunt, Cousin and his 2 sons And My Son Sometime My brother will come help
    We use to hire others but anymore cant find anybody wants to work or be trusted

15. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

My wife and 2 sons help my daughter plows our drive sometimes maybe she will get into it more later. and I have a buddy that helps also.

16. rpainetfd

rpainetfd Member

My father started the business and I worked with him for many years until he passed (right in the middle of a major snow storm). I had to step up quickly and get things done. My nephew runs my second truck, and my 12 year old daughter shovels.....She seems to think she is worth $10 an hour:confused: This is a side business for me, I love every minute of it.

17. siteworkplus

siteworkplus Senior Member
    from mass

I paid my son $20 per hour since he was 11. I kept half and gave it back when he went to college. really helped him with the essential college supplies,you know Budweiser and bongs.seriously it was a nice way to pay for some college and get the tax benefits with paying employees. totally legal and provided incentive for him to work hard for himself. I'll keep you updated as to how that works out.

18. contractor078

contractor078 Senior Member

Me and the wife. She is in the truck most of the time and i am in the skiddy running around doing intersections and clean up work.

19. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

i am thankful to have my brother and father to work alongside. yes we have our bickering moments but i'll take that over having to rely on employees any day. that being said, we do have 2 employees as well, they are good, but there is no substitute for family trust. i still do what i can here and there, but i am in law school now so i try to take care of the back office type stuff, ill go out and plow when the storms hit during the weekend, but im glad that my brother stepped up and took on alot more responsibility.

20. Greenmtboy

Greenmtboy Senior Member
    from Vermont

I to will admit that my father and I bicker. People who don't work for family think us who do have it easy, I tell them they should try it then tell me what you think. Don't get me wrong it does have its benefits but it also has its drawbacks. Then you add that your parents are old school and almost afraid of change (they are in their mid sixty's) and then their is me 36 and always looking for new and innovative ways to run and operate. Thats where we butt heads the most, if makes it down right frustrating at times. They just don't wanna give up the control.