1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how many driveways?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by jay albers, Oct 2, 2011.

1. jay albers

jay albers Member
    from pa

I never plowed before and was wondering how many driveways you think I can do?

I did about ten in 5hrs with a blower over the last couple years.

I don't want to rush either, I want to take my time and learn and do them right.

Also if i dont get enough drives I was hoping to sub out. do some contracters let me sub for them when i'm done my drives?

Just wondering how that works? I'm sure it's alittle different for every company but my business comes first before I start making money for other companys.
    Thanks Jay

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

Depends on alot of things really.

1.how big are the driveways
    2.what kind of truck and plow do you have.
    3.how far apart are each driveway.
    4.do you intend to get out of the truck and shovel in front of the garage/walkways.
    5.How are the driveways set up? Are they going to be straight shot pushes or alot of back dragging?
    6.Are you going to sand the driveways.

Also considering you have never plowed before you will be slow as balls for a while getting used to plowing and not destroying things. I would stick with 20-25 your first year.
  3. jay albers

jay albers Member
    from pa

I have a suburban with a 8' boss

I was hoping to trade my two stage blower for a single stage to get the walks and in front of garage if need be. ( big reason i got the plow was i could'nt stand taking that big a## blower up and down off the truck, and frezzin my butt off!).

Anyway, I was thinking about 20-25 as well
  4. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Try to think worst case scenario. How many drives you can do @ 2" is different than how many you can do @ 8". Don't over extend the first year just because you have a plow.
  5. allstarlawncare

allstarlawncare Member

i did 43 driveways my first year in 4.5 hours. they were all two car wide driveways with a mixture of ones i needed to backblade and others where i could push all the snow forward. No shoveling in from of garage doors but i did shovel a few sidewalks as well
  6. jay albers

jay albers Member
    from pa

43 would be nice.

Also debating to keep the two stage just in case I have a break down.

What is the approach to a drive when the garage is right in front?
    On a single drive with single garage do I go up to garage and back drag to the road?

I know I'll figure it out just hoping to get an image in my head if I can.
  7. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

You definatley should keep backup equipment. Once you have paid for such equipment, it costs very little to keep. Compare the costs to the peace of mind that you have back up equipment, and that cost goes way down.
  8. allstarlawncare

allstarlawncare Member

drive up to the garage, put your truck in reverse, drop the plow and go backwards til you have snow far enough back and push it to the side of the driveway. easy as that and youre done
  9. jay albers

jay albers Member
    from pa

cool, thanks