1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How many driveways per truck?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dmk395, Mar 28, 2001.

1. dmk395

dmk395 Junior Member

I will be new to plowing next year, and already have a substantial client base with with my landscaping company. I should easily get 30 driveways, but probably close to 50 during my first year. Will I need more than one truck? Most are average driveways, maybe 10'x 70'. What do u think?
  2. lawnboy82

lawnboy82 Banned

how far apart?
    a lot of backblading?
    cleaning away from parked cars?
    parked cars?
    salt / sanding?
    you kind of get the picture...
  3. dmk395

dmk395 Junior Member

All are within a 10 mile radius. Limited parked cars, and less than 10 walkways. Most I am guessing are very simple, just make one push and pile. Back up and do the same thing. I cant see anyone of them taking more than 10 minutes, probably most will take less than 5.
  4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

how big is the average drive,and how far apart.What is your average snow fall amount,there are lots of questions you need to answer first,but ill tell you this-if you have a spare truck-it seems like your truck will never break-buti f you have no backup-your truck will be breaking every other storm.A backup is an insurance policy-I wont be without.I have a 2 truck run,in most storms,but if one breaks,oe we get the big one-I have a 3rd to use as needed.
  5. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

There are so many things that determine the amount of driveways per truck.

I have 3 residential plow trucks. That only do residential drives. Many are people with horses, and must have barn yards and stuff plowed out.

Truck 1: 15 large driveways, all the drive ways around 2000 ft, have big parking areas, ect.

Truck 2: 36 small easy quick drives to do 100' to 500' drives.

Truck 3: 25 Driveways, some small, some large, spread out more than the other trucks.

All houses get full service, plowing and shoveling. Each truck has a driver/ shoveler and a shoveler. Each run takes about 12 hours.

6. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

The company that I work for does about 100 drives with 3 trucks plus a bunch of other trucks on municipal stuff. All 3 driveway trucks are 3/4 ton pickups

Truck 1- 45 medium to large drivways, 1 meduim church, 1 small comercial lot and 1 realy good driver

Truck 2- 25 medium drivways, 1 large church, 1 ok driver

Truck 3- 35 small to meduim drives, 1 small church, 2 small conmmercials and 1 driver that curses at every driveway he enters.

The whole route can be done between 6-8 hours on a small storm. Sometimes additional trucks help out. When they finish the route the drivway trucks go help out the crews plowing the schools and parks.
  7. 4 Saisons

4 Saisons Senior Member

With a single unit, is better to takes no moore than what you will able to do in a big storm with a helper/shoveler, so on light event you can go alone and you will need no more time than in a storm and save few bucks.

10 miles radius, are you in town or suburban area. Because if you have to fight against too many dot plow truck can decrease quality. The best is to have a route behind one dot truck.

Right now i have 65 driveway (3 miles radius), average of 4 car size, half of them have sidewalk and stair. my average on light snow is 8 hrs and 12 in a storm. I use only a MTD 13/45 snowblower.

in 96/97 with another guys, and low bids, we reach 425 contracts, res, appart, comm, and indus. on res route with a truck and 8' plow, it was 125 on light events and 80 in a storm.

Our services was ok, but low price kill ourself with 5 trucks, 1 backoe, 1 kubota 54"snowblower and 3 man sidewalk crew with 3 snowblower = no proffits at the ends(and only a little wage for us) and people was not happy when we send our renewal with a 50% increase.

It was a big lesson for us and now with my little snowblower route i do more money than before.

I recently buy a truck for next years and i plan to reach 120 res. with one shoveler, and one man on the blower during storm, having a lot of 3-5 driveways closer to each other, i'll be able to drop the snowblower man, and by this time i'll go to do few at the same time.

[Edited by 4 Saisons on 03-29-2001 at 02:38 AM]
  8. northeast

northeast Junior Member

I plow a small strip mall,then 32 residential drives.
    it takes me about 16 hrs.to complete my work.
    next year I will do only commercial!!!! and elimenate
    32 headaches. I know of a guy in my service area that
    does 62 drives with one truck.you will know when reach
    your limit. Nick