1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How many driveways can i handle???

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by celticgreens, Nov 26, 2004.

1. celticgreens

celticgreens Junior Member

this is my first year plowing, i have a '92 ford F-700, a little big for residential driveways but whatever, ill manage. my question is, since this is my first year and i dont have any commercial accounts, how many residential driveways can i handle per snow fall??? im hopefully handing out like 2000-3000 flyers and will assume ill be flagged down multiple times. if i set up accounts with clients for the season, how many do you think i should take on before it gets to be too many? i understand i have to take into account driveway size and how much snow, but just say average, like 20X 30 driveways and say 6 inches of snow. give me your best guess. thanks guys

2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

It depends how far apart they are too. 20 to 30 is not unreasonable but not to be a party pooper you must consider the weight of that truck in people driveways and possible damage that you could do to them that will cost big bucks to fix. (stay off of cement driveways that can crack)

3. Bryan C. King

Bryan C. King Junior Member

Too big of a truck to do residential driveways.

4. DJC

DJC Senior Member

I agree with you. It's going to take so much time and expect damage to lawns and driveways. Sell the 700 and buy a used 1/2 truck.

5. gmack616

gmack616 Member

it definetly depends on the distance between driveways. if they are all in the same neighborhood, you could do 6-10 an hour w/o problems.

6. maurader

maurader Member

I think if you showed up in my driveway to plow with something that big I would have a heart attack. Sell it and buy a pickup truck. If you really had to 25-30 driveways would be possible as long as they are not spread too far apart.

f700.jpg

7. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Holy Mackeral! Lord forbid if they have a car parked in the drive off to the side. I can see a whole lot of damage occuring with a truck this size...concrete, lawn, curbs, etc..

8. Dnipro Max

Dnipro Max Member

Thats BIG for residental??? get 3/4 ton and thats plenty, about 20 min per driway if u have some driving to do

9. Boutallnite

Boutallnite Senior Member

That is a big truck for drivways, I suggest getting a jeep if you are only doing driveways. Small and does the job,it is just so much easier in driveways.

I will be a sub this winter and will be doing about 30 driveways. A few really big and the rest medium to small. All of them in the same town and not more than a 5 minute drive from each other. Some are even on the same block.
    I am running a Wrangler with a 6.8' snoway.How long do you think it would and should take me to do?

10. daninline

daninline Senior Member

Would it be safe to say a 100 foot drive with a garage to the side, just push the snow to the end of the drive with a 8 foot plow would take about 5 mins at the most for a normal 6" storm?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2004
  11. smiti105

smiti105 Member

Throw a six footer on the 700 and go nuts! Imagine?

12. Tarkus

I push into drive unless they say otherwise and push it of the side near garage and back drag what is left in front of garage and push it to side too.

13. korelandscaping

korelandscaping Member
    from CT

Wow...I hope you don't start sliding! Like most others said, sell it and get a smaller truck or keep it and buy a beater. I plow some of my drives w/ a 9 footer and that's often hairy. Good luck

14. JRSlawn

JRSlawn Senior Member

I have a 2004 f 350 with 8 ft plow and cant get it in some places Drives in tight places get a ranger

15. Tarkus

I use a 1ton std cab SRW with a 8 footer and it will fit anywhere I need it too.

16. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

A little big???

I wouldn't even attempt it in that size of a truck. Sod ain't cheap and you will be replacing a bunch next spring. Get a nice load of dirt as well with a vibrator to pack it down as those tire ruts are gonna need to be filled in as well.

17. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Hey Celticgreens, give me a call at 201-336-6860 (Steve) when you get a chance. I have a Ford Ranger 4x4, maybe we can work something out with a trade if you are interested. I am in North Bergen 07047, not too far from you...

18. drplow

drplow Senior Member

i hope your not plowing res. properties in the city with that.

19. faughtj

faughtj Member
    from NE Ohio

I plowed last year in my Chevy 1-ton DRW dump, and that is a tight fit in most driveways.. the rear end is just so much bigger than a standard pickup, plus if you have the west coast mirrors that stick out 3 feet on each side that makes it even worse. Many times I came within an inch of swiping a mailbox with those damn mirrors.

Unless you're waaay out in the country where the driveways are 1 mile long or more, I can't imagine anyone hiring a truck that size, nor would I want to imagine being the one who has to drive it. Seems like a good candidate for sub work for a company looking for a large truck for roads, malls, etc.

20. ptllandscapeIL

ptllandscapeIL Senior Member

can we say plowking homer simpson???????