1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how many drives for an inverted snowblower

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by newlandscapes, Aug 20, 2015.

1. newlandscapes

newlandscapes Junior Member

wondering if i need two machines or can do it with one. There are 240 units, but 120 drives. Each drive has a two stall garage for one unit and then attached unit is a single stall garage. So essentially it's a 3 stall driveway and there are 120 of those. I have a 50 pto cab tractor with a 82" inverted blower. The people in the past have use two bobcats and a plow truck for the streets, but i'm wondering what i can do with an inverted blower. It's my first year using one. Here is a picture of a typical driveway.

2. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

You should be able to get it done with one machine. However that depends on the time frame you want to get them done in. I am assuming drives and not roadways and parking spots.
  3. Neige

Neige Sponsor

If the drives are close together someone with experience can get it done in four hours. Are you intending on doing the streets also? Since its your first year, your first time out count on only getting 15 done an hour. As time goes on you will get better. So is 8 hrs ok for getting the job done your first time? If your first snow fall is heavy wet snow, add 2 more hours. I am not trying to discourage you, just know there is a learning curve to be able to do 40 drives an hour.Thumbs Up
  4. newlandscapes

newlandscapes Junior Member

Thanks for all the input!! That is what i was hoping. I have a 2011 Kubota L5940 with a new 82" Normand. The account is actually by the hour, but they want it done by 7am. I'm not apposed to a second machine, but i need other work in the area to justify it and for my first year with this set-up i didn't want to over do it.
    The streets will be done with a plow truck until i can get my time down, then i might blow them. So ideally if i can start around midnight for the first few times i should be able to wrap things up by 7am or close to it.
    The only hesitation i have is if the machine was to go down. I'm hoping with buying a new blower and a tractor with lower hours (less than 800) i think that i should be in good shape.... cross my fingers
  5. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

I think you're on the right path. Once you get it down it will be nice and easy. If you can afford the second tractor I wouldn't hesitate to get it now. Being at 1 or 2 tractors to me is the most risky for breakdowns. Once you get to 3 tractors you're pretty safe; because if 1 is out of service for any reason then you're only asking each of the other 2 units to do 50% more than their normal route. But with 2 units if one breaks down then you're asking the other unit to do double the work. And with 1 unit, well then your backup is trucks or skidders, neither of which are ideal, but will work in a pinch.

When I work with guys just getting into this business model I try to stress the importance of 1.) not overbooking your tractor, especially if it's your only tractor, and 2.) getting that 2nd, and 3rd unit as soon as possible. Even if it's not possible this year, make it happen for next year. You want to know that no matter what you're able to provide seamless service to your customers, that is what will let you grow year after year. The good service.
  6. NickSnow&Mow

NickSnow&Mow Senior Member

Hey Paul, haven't talked to you in a while. Not sure if you got what I said a while ago about the inverted question a while ago but I think I'm going to make my cotech into a pusher/puller for this year and just basically use the same set up. Don't really want to spend $8000+ this year to only save a minute or two per driveway. Mare you going to be at landscape Ontario this year?
  7. SDLandscapes VT

SDLandscapes VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

Nick perhaps we should help you get a cab tractor first....
  8. NickSnow&Mow

NickSnow&Mow Senior Member

Working on it.....got to see how many customers I get.