1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how many customers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by caz1, Nov 30, 2004.

1. caz1

caz1 Member

how many customers should i have before i quit my full time job and go full time in the snow and lawn care biz

thanks in advance :salute: caz1

2. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

That would depend on how good your full time job is.

3. caz1

caz1 Member

not very good 11 an hour plus 10% of billable labor witch is another 350 a month on ave

4. Bolts Indus.

All I can say is.

If you are not happy then go for it.

The trick to building a good business is to have a vision of where you want to be in 5 years and then go after it. You must FOCUS, FOCUS, FOCUS on your target and totally dedicate yourself with the required hours to make it happen whether it be 40 or 70 hours a week. You will suceed if you want it bad and are willing to work to make it happen.

5. rclay11541

rclay11541 Member

my goal is 50 driveways for 1 f150 and 1 650 prarie quad
    50 drives at an average of 50 is 2500 per strom hopefully

dont quit your current job until your company starts demanding more time one fades in the other fades out

6. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

Bolts...You said it.My wife just recently lost her job.I told her..don't look at it as the end,but rather as a new beginning.I lost my job last year.I saw the market and bought an elgin pelican street sweeper.I bought the sweeper out of Oregon and had it deliverd to the local John deere dealer(he has a load ramp).It was snowing when he brought it.The sweeper is 104" wide.He delivered it on a 102" wide trailer.I had never even seen the inside of a sweeper,let alone driven one.The driver backed his trailer up to the dock and said,its all yours,I'm not unloading it.So my first time in the sweeper was unloading it off the truck.I was a bit nervous :cry: ..My very first job with the sweeper was sweeping a town.That also was a great learning experience.But now business is growing..Like Bolts said..If you want it bad enough and are willing to do whatever it takes to make it happen...it will :)

7. Bolts Indus.

Well if she is not working put her on the sweeper. That's another thing, utilize ALL your available assets. Just kidding.

Hard work will beat talent everytime. Believe it.

8. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

Hey i started my business about 1 1/2years ago. I had finally had enough of working and answering to other people. I had maybe a couple hundred dollars in the bank , a truck and some tools. also had a couple of phone calls for side jobs . So i quit my job and started working. This year I have made 40,000 dollars on my own. 90% of the work i do alone. I put most of that money into equipment and tools. I do not advertise so all my work has come from referrals. all i have done is gone out and worked hard every day, done an awesome job, and i just keep getting phone calls for work. so yes it can be done if your determined enough to do it....

9. Bolts Indus.

Glad to hear that. One more thing. Never get to comfortable when things are going good. Keep that hungry spirit. If you are not moving ahead then you will soon fall behind. :)

10. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

I know what ya mean, i am hungry for work. Even though the year has gone good , for the past two weeks all i have done is gone out and plowed once. i feel like a loser sitting here with no work. cant wait for the snow to fly, or some jobs to come in..cant stand doin nothing.

11. Bolts Indus.

When things are slow and we are waiting for the phone to ring we get down. May I suggest when things are slow you get off your butt and go out and make your phone ring. An old man once told me if you were giving away 100.00 bills at your house and you didn't tell anybody how many people would show up to get one. Get out and drive down to the coffee shop, with plow on, expose yourself, be seen it's all promoting your business. It will not pay off in hours, but it will pay off.

12. caz1

caz1 Member

thank for the help :salute:

13. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

maybe a good amount of comm lots that pay wether its snows or not type contracts maybe do some sub contracting for your town roads that type of stuff