1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

"How Many Customers Can A One man Gang Handle

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Daner, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

How many customers can you handel ,by your self...Is there a time when you have to say No ...cant do It?
    What If alot of them need out by 7am:rolleyes:
    I think this year there will be a ton of snow events...and I don,t want to ware myself too Ragged.
  2. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

is this residental or comercial salting how far away everythings a factor give us some more
  3. Daner

All Residental...Within 3 mile radius...But some are long country driveways.
  4. Daner

All Residental...Within 3 mile radius...But some are long country driveways.
    No Salt.
  5. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

you can do a ton they arent that far depending on what time it stops coming down most should be open by 7
  6. Daner

I'm kinda thinking ...Say If the snow doesnt start till after midnite...and then there Is 8" on the ground by 6-7 am...
    Is 30 customers pushing It...Or should I take on another 10payup
  7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

It's more about time than a matter of numbers of customers. I'd usually try for about 4-5 hours worth at a 3" snow, then figuring it would take about twice that with heavier snowfalls. The other thing is to consider customer needs. When do you start the route and can you set it up to have pushed each customer within a couple of hours of the time they need to get out? Leave some time for things to happen that upset your well-laid plans.
  8. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I've always been a firm believer in that don't get more than you can handle. IE: 40 unhappy customers vs. 30 happy customers. A happy customer will be a returning customer!;)
  9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Depends on how tight the route is. 40 is a breeze if they're all in the same town house development. 30 is too many if there is significant travel time, shoveling, snowblowing or stops for snowplows (http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=37707) involved.
  10. Daner

No town homes...No shoveling...all In the back roads of 3 mile Radius
  11. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I used to do 55 houses. 34 of them were in one estate subdivision. I could those done in 4 hours with 3-4" of snow. We get very few snowfalls where you would be stuck on your driveway. I know of one company that has 310 driveways, they do these with 4 trucks. On the real bad storms most of the sideroads are a mess and if you can drive on those you can get out of your driveway.
  12. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

there are lots of answers in this thread, but none of them are any help.

Because the number one factor involved, nobody can gauge. And that factor is you.

Efficiency is key when plowing snow. You need to move the most amount of snow in the least amount of time. If you are inneficient and spend more time with the blade up repositioning, then it will take you all night. If you can do most drives with 3 swipes and no cleanup after, you are golden.

So many things factor into time when plowing snow. For small lots a hiflo bobcat will plow circles around a pickup who can plow circles around a dump.

Will there be obstacles you have to move, cars in the way, etc... why does every client have to be done by 7am? Can you priortize them?
  13. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

I agree. You never know what mother nature will throw at you. Be ready, not sorry. Leave some time for those unexpected events. They will happen!!!
  14. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

how many customers do you have now and how many did you do sucessfully last year
  15. Daner

I Have 25 now...Last yr I had 10:dizzy: . Thats right 15 new customers so far this year ...and the phone Is still ringing soto speak.
    Thay all don't need out by 7 am just a fair chunk of them.
    I need to put a good route plan together...some times I look at the sheet and I don't know where to start LOL...I'm going to bed thinking about the weather...Can't wait for the snow.
  16. 2moresleeps

2moresleeps Senior Member
    from Ontario

Never know how many until you try. I do the richmond hill area where it snows quite a bit and 2 buddies of mine have 100 accounts each. They both have back up trucks though. They each only drive the one truck, they have a helper who does the walkways but yeah, they have 100 accounts each. I hear them swear that they wouldnt do it again due to the 14-17 hour days of a storm but $30000-$35000 for 100 accounts isnt too bad either...certainly a great motivator.
  17. Daner

Mapping software

I was playing around with an old Microsoft maps and streets program last night...I need something more updated now...but I think that will help me out with my plan of atack...when the snow flys.
  18. MJM Landscaping

MJM Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

You could handle quite a few. The first year I plowed I handle almost 70 by my self with a 15 mile radius. i just went threw, broke them all open so people can get to work then come back and clean them up. Plow with the storm. Just let them know you will be back. Plus most cars will be out of the way. Thats what I always do. No complaints.
  19. Daner

When you come back to do your clean ups...I,m assuming thats Its not all 70...but are you charging for the clean ups??
    But Its sounds like you had a great plan of atack there
    Thanks for the Tip
  20. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I'll beg to differ in a big way. The following answer by Mick is the correct answer. Efficiency is second. As you become more efficient you will have more time to service more customers. You can be 100% efficient and still only be able to service a certain amount of customers in a certain amount of time. You have to know your production and the level of service you want to provide\be known for in order to determine how many customers one can handle.