1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How many clients...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mkwl, Jan 13, 2008.

?

How many accounts do you have?

1. Less than 5

12 vote(s)
    6.5%
  2. 5-10

24 vote(s)
    13.0%
  3. 11-15

29 vote(s)
    15.8%
  4. 16-20

25 vote(s)
    13.6%
  5. 21-30

20 vote(s)
    10.9%
  6. 31-40

20 vote(s)
    10.9%
  7. 41-50

20 vote(s)
    10.9%
  8. 51-60

10 vote(s)
    5.4%
  9. 61-80

9 vote(s)
    4.9%
  10. 81+

15 vote(s)
    8.2%
  1. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

For those of you guys who are solo operators (1 truck w/plow), how many accounts so you have? Resi's Commercial lots?

Matt

2. ECS

ECS Senior Member

I am solo, one truck and just me. All I do is resi and have 25 of them.

3. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I was a solo operation with 76 driveways, till this year I had a waiting list of 20 people so I hired a Truck and added 20 drives. Unfortunately the truck is an F250 with a King cab (not crew cab) without a back drag edge. Since I do driveways he is of limited use to me, there is not a single driveway he can do all of, and most of them he cant do anything.

4. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

I might not count but I'm a sub contractor. I am responsible for 5 commercial accounts each storm with the help of one other truck (F550 dump/9ft fisher hd) on three of them.

hope my input counts...

5. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Solo here. 6 commercails and 24 residentails not counting my house, and both grandparents houses as these are non paying accounts.

6. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

7. MB3

MB3 Senior Member

I am a solo plow guy, and I do 3 commerical and about 30 Resi with a helper. I mainly use my snowblowers on almost all of the resi accounts. Too many people around here are tired of bad plow guys trearing through their yard with their plow.

8. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

first yr here. Just 16 resi accounts. Half on a 2 inch and half on a 4 inch. Next yr I will not offer the 4 inch, 2" is the way to go.

9. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I have 23 places total. 1 good commercial, do an apartment complex occasionally-when the owner is too lazy to plowpayup and the rest are residentials. I could handle more, but having a little home time is ok too I guess:rolleyes:

10. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

How tight the route is and how big they are makes all the difference. Our average driveway is 150' long 10' wide for 100' then opening up to 3-4 car widths. Almost all are 3 car garages. I find 25 to be the limit for each truck. When I started I would limit it to 25 then I couldnt turn people away and would wind up with 30-35 by the end of winter. Made for a long day solo in small storms and really hard long days in big storms. Now I have 2 trucks and each driver carries a shoveler. I limit each truck to 25 resi's and we both team up for 2 medium sized commercials. We also do about 15 walkways in that route. Having help makes all the difference in the world. I now limit my routes and have a few people on a waiting list. We also clear all trails and garage doors for our fee, which is a premium compared to the numbers I see around here. I make good money, the guys each get $20/hr, not overly hard on the equipment, and enough profit is made to put back in the business and repair/replace equipment. Works for me.

Years ago I had a boss that would do 80-100 of the same resi's and it would take him 36 hours during a 4" storm. During a 12" it would take him 3 full days and he wouldnt even get them all done. He would constantly lose customers and would have to find new ones. Im sure he made a lot of money, but not worth it in my book. It is possible to have too many accounts.

11. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Interesting- keep the comments/votes coming.

I have 17 resi accounts right now, but will probably and up with around 20 by the time the next storm rolls around (picked up 2 more yesterday in prep for the storm that never came today) :rolleyes:

It's a pretty tight route, all but 2 accounts are in my town, it takes me about 4.5 hours, with my brother helping me with the ones that have shoveling (most have front walk shoveled).

The crazy thing is- a lot of plowers just sort of abandon their clients- so they fire whoever they had before and hire me (all my advertising is by word of mouth and recommendations)- I could easily have 45+ clients by now if I wasn't turning some people away, just because they were in an area where I didn't have any other drives.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2008
  12. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I've got ten. Three are long (1.5 miles plus) private roads and one is my farm that takes me forever to do. Nice and slow with the tractor. On a usual storm it'll take me around 12 hours from start to stop to go through my route.

13. BenW455

BenW455 Junior Member
    from WV

1 man 1 truck 4 Commercial lots.payup 2 are government lotspayuppayup

14. GL&M

GL&M Senior Member
    from PA

8 Commercial accounts and 12 Residential. One operator, one main truck and one backup.

15. dunlaps lawncare

dunlaps lawncare Senior Member

10 Residential. me and 2 part timers for the bigger storms

16. tommyo

tommyo Junior Member
    from n.va.

I have 3 commercial=2 car dealerships and 1 animal hospital and 3 old neighbors driveways I do for free.

17. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

This is my first year, and I have at least 11 every storm. Sometimes up to 20 for bigger storms. I have 2 helpers that do the walks while I do the driveways. Takes us less than 4 hours for storms up to 6 inches or so. So far I'm enjoying plowing!

18. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

~45 driveways here. All residentials from got a few small 1.5 car wide x 40' long ones, most are 200-400' with 2-4 car garages that have to be spotless. a couple up to 1000+' driveways with circles, fountains, islands. Couple access ways too. Last "storm" was about ~6hrs of work with a shoveler to do cleanup on the walks.

19. DFLS

DFLS Senior Member

I am solo with 1 truck and do 48 total. 43 resi's, 2 commercials, 3 free(parents, inlaws), and mine. Added to the 48 are some that I do once in a while when the customer goes away, but those can be done last or the next day. About half of the resi's are 3 car garages and 200'+ long driveways, 5 with circles. Almost all have walks to shovel. I shovel away from the garages too. 10 have city sidewalks that get filled in by the city plows.:realmad: The commercial lots are about 100' x 300' pretty easy to do. If I can I get help if no help it takes longer. Fluffy snow 6" with my best shoveler we are done in 8 hrs. I can do that alone in 11 hours. However it is not always fluffy, is it??. The 10" sleet storm we got last March 17 took 31 hours straight for me and two shifts of help. Most of my accounts had three trips though. If timing is right and I can go out at night that is when it works best. But try to plow during rush hour forget it you spend lots of time just waiting to get out of the driveways.

20. MOWBIZZ

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

Holy Mackerel...! You do 48 in 11 hours?? Man you must be flying! I have 13 plus 2 freebies and on the average, they take me 4-5 hours for an average storm...I admit, my accounts are quite spread out at this time but I plan on "tightening" my route as I build accounts. I can't even imagine doing 48 by myself...