1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How many change their fluid every year?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by GMCHD plower, Aug 7, 2010.

1. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

How many change their fluid every year?

2. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Every pre-season check over.

3. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Yep, every year, cheap insurance. Metallic particles in the fluid is an early indicator of a problem, water in the fluid is an early indicator of a leak, etc.

4. 04f250fisher

04f250fisher Senior Member

I change mine every fall. The magnet always has sludge on it so as it was said before, its cheap insurance. I also pull all the pins and check them for wear and coat them in red lithium grease which is highly water resistant.

5. snow7899

snow7899 Senior Member

I do the same. On a busy winter I'll dump the fluid in the middle of the season as well.

6. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Change the fluid before each season (usually November), and clean out the resivoir every other year.

For those of you with Insta-act hydraulic units.... is there a better way to get the bottom resivoir off than having to take the whole unit off it's mount?

7. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

I've been lucky, plowing seven years for Mass Highway on I-290 in Worcester, the only thing I've changed is cutting edges, light bulbs and a solenoid, sold the truck and plow to update to a newer one but I suggested to the new owner that he should change filter and fluid.

8. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Every year!. Jerre showed me my fluid and filter 2 or 3 years ago after a season and a half of moderate plowing and it was getting pretty bad (I didnt change it for the first season and a half).

9. vortec5.7

vortec5.7 Member

i use to blow off changing the fluid every year but i learned the hard way having to replace pistons and other parts now i drain all the fluid and change the filter every year. also at that time i look over the plow (hoses pins ect.) so that i can catch any problems before winter

10. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

Always do it every year right before the season starts. I always thought of it like the oil in a car. Would you not change the oil in an engine.
    Cheap insurance.

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Just the smart ones:nod: