1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How many chances to give a sloppy driver?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NW Snow Removal, Dec 6, 2010.

1. NW Snow Removal

NW Snow Removal Senior Member

We tell them all what to do before the snow falls, and go over all our procedures and show them pictures. However, Every year in the beginning of the season we will have one-two guys that are kinda sloppy(sometimes even experienced guys, weird). Happens every year on the first few storms. We usually fix it by having them go back and clean up at their own cost. It has worked well for us in the past. Then, I tell them if it happens again they are gone. Had to fire 5 guys in 4 years with our company. I wonder if you guys have any better way to deal with them.
  2. joe2113

joe2113 Junior Member
    from Midwest

I had a problem with an experienced driver doing a sloppy job this last weekend too. Granted, it was our first storm of the year so I'm giving him another chance to redeem himself. He didn't clear out the corners of the intersections very well, didn't push his snow far enough back, left a few ugly trails here and there, and he finished his pushes in weird inefficient spots. We're supposed to get an inch or two at the end of this week and he's going to meet me at the account the did a sloppy job on and ride with me for 30 mins- an hour while I show him what I want done and let him know i'd rather have him take an extra half an hour and to a good job. If he can't get it after that I'll put him in a skid steer doing driveways and somebody else will take his truck.
  3. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

all new guys get walked through the account before snow. and we mark where snow gets put by flagging the stakes if they screw up they get a warning and get shown again if they do it again they move to the shovel crew or the soup line
  4. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

There's no harm in telling them to get it right and if they can't you will find someone who can.
  5. NW Snow Removal

NW Snow Removal Senior Member

2 strikes and you're out. That's my rule too. These days everyone steps to the plate with one strike. We walked them through it again last night and I think he finally will get it. We moved him up to a bigger lot this year based on his performance in the past, albeit on small lots, and we were astounded with how poorly his crew did, even with 2 site visits before winter. I really hope he figures it out, I would hate to have to move on from this crew on this site. He wants this so bad. Very tough because he was so good at the little lots and we really can't switch him with anyone without eliminating half his workload.
  6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

do it my way or hit the highway
    plenty of people looking for work