1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

how many can you handle

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by muldnerlm, Nov 19, 2004.

1. muldnerlm

muldnerlm Junior Member
    from NY

Just trying to get an idea of abilities. Out of all the small timers (plow and a guy with a shovel) how many accounts can you handle?
  2. PlowKid150

PlowKid150 Senior Member

I guess it depends on how much time you are willing to invest. I am a single man operation with one truck, and usually 2 guys walking blowers and shoveling. To give you an idea... i have 50 residential driveways that are about 20x150 each, 5 commercial parking lots that each are the size of about a large gas station, and misc. one time pushes for people who flag me down, and a fair amount of sidewalks. I get all my work done but it does take a lot out of me, especially since i'm in college and i gotta rush home to every storm. Hope this gives you a little more or an idea.

PS, i plan on taking on more residentials because they are good cash and take minumul time. My favorite is dominating a whole cul-da-sac because you have like 7 drives all next door to each other and you can blow em out real fast with the plow and the blowers. I control 3 full cul-da-sacs, and just from those 5 i probobly earn from 1500 to 2000 on those alone. You can really make some money doing drives, you just need to set a price and stick to it. People around here pay anywhere from 40-100 dollars for a driveway push.

Kevin :waving:
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2004
  3. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Kevin-$40-$100 per push thats great.

Depends on how tight your route is try not to spread yourself out to much to give better service and get yourself in and out faster.

Around here as far as people flagging you down for extra plows it might of happened 5 times last year and thats out of the 3 trucks I put out, not very good.
  4. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

You have to be carefull to as residentail driveway owners are more likley to fuss about damage too. I always leave shoes down a bit for those jobs
  5. PlowKid150

PlowKid150 Senior Member

Tarkus, Yea that is one worry i have while doing my Residentials. I use a lotta stakes, and if it is real hard to see the line, then i will most of the time take a couple of cuts out of the snow with a shovel to show me where the driveway ends, doing that really helps a lot. Last thing i wanna do is be seeding lawns and fixing Pavers ya know.

The worst job i have is an entire driveway that is EP henry Old town Cobble Pavers.... Wow that driveway makes my stomach hurt every time. I dont use the shoes on that driveway because even they will scratch the stuff up, so i drop the blade and raise it like an inch and take my sweet old time. If you catch one high paver ur rippin that thing out..... Always has to be one account that keeps you on your toes. :cool:

6. Tarkus

I will not even plow a driveway like that. In years past I have used burial flag markers (piece of wire with a little plastic flag on it and I am about out now) to mark off driveway edges and if I know I have job for sure I will put them out before snow falls and I set them back 2 feet from edge to make room for plowed snow. You can get cheap bundles of them at TSC.
  7. J HIsch

J HIsch Member

A standard pick up truck with plow and about 2-4" of snow should be able to plow 20-30 lots a cycle approx 10,000 sqft. to 30,000 sqft.
  8. Tarkus

Maybe if you race like a bat of hates... I would not want that many with one truck and have that many pee'd off if something brakes down or a big storm hits.
  9. J HIsch

J HIsch Member

20-30 small lots? when the route density is totally packed, it's not all that difficult. I work a small territory. But also i have another truck, but he is tied up on larger lots.
  10. Tarkus

If it starts snowing hard and keeps snowing you will never catch up with that many. Just one bad storm can blow your reputation right out of the water.
  11. ZR2plower

ZR2plower Member

I have 66 accounts all residential except for the fire department. It takes me roughly 11 hours with 4" of snow.
  12. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I kept up with 22 commercial accounts last year during a 12inch snowstorm just fine.....by myself. :rolleyes:
  13. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Unless you have a lot of storms every year you can't base your route on storms. You won't make enough money on all the average snow falls. I would say 6 to 8 hours would be a good run.