1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How many can I do?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by stodds12, Oct 22, 2013.

1. stodds12

stodds12 Junior Member

I recently acquired an additional 30 plowing customers which brings me to a total of roughly 53 customers. I have a fairly tight route within 6 kilometres (Canadian)tymusic and all of which are residential single or double car city lots.

I'm looking into a backup truck now as this is my second year and am currently using a half ton GMC, but am wondering if I'm better off with a pull plow instead of a backup? For the guys that use them for residential's how much does it actually speed up productivity? I've done a lot of searches and for the most part its positive feedback but I'm looking for solid feedback on how much it increased your productivity per night. I know it depends on the operator as well but for example how fast can an average city sized double driveway take to clear out?

Option A- buy a 3/4-1 ton truck/plow and run 2 trucks a more expensive option which I'm not really setup for at this point

OR

Option B- Buy a pull plow for my half ton and gut it out until I can afford a bigger truck than use that as my primary

If I were to buy a pull plow it would be a basic 7.5-8' plow probably Arctic just based on dealer availability and the size of my truck but what would you guys do? thanks for the help

2. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

Are you talking about the Canadian made Arctic plow partner out of London Ontario.

3. stodds12

stodds12 Junior Member

Yup have a few dealers fairly close in Nova Scotia

4. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

I'd go the back up truck route, cause it is a 2nd truck so you got it if you need it cause of a breakdown(truck or plow) & you can use it to increse amout of work you can do, yes it involves a second guy if you need 2 trucks running at same time.

5. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

You have the need, time to go sign you life away. Right now, a leftover 13 f250 or f350 reg cab and fisher xv2 can be found here in the states for around 35k. With good credit, and 4 or 5 grang down, you would probably be able to get zero percent financing, and a 5 year payment of 545 or so.

Nothing beats a new truck with a new plow when there's 18 inches on the way...then you can put the hired man in the old rig if need be.

6. stodds12

stodds12 Junior Member

While a brand new truck/plow setup would be nice, I'm only 23 and I'm in the process of buying my first house (closes in 2 weeks) so I'm sure financing is probably out of the question unless it was a small loan say <10k.

I see a few 3/4 tons listed that are within my ball park and I'm thinking that's my best option.
    Ideal setup would be to use the half ton as a backup/ light salter and a 3/4 with pull plow to do the brunt of my work.

For the guys who have used pull plows, how much time does it actually save you per driveway?

7. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

I don't know yet i just got my drag plow off the truck this afternoon, excited to find out though.