1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How many average events in a season?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by kah68, Nov 5, 2007.

1. kah68

kah68 Senior Member

I know this is a loaded question, but how many events do the people in Central Ontario or any other high snow area average per year. I'm just wondering if I budget for a min of 10 if that is realistic. Over 3 months thats only 3 per mo. I'm using this info to find my break even number.

2. green frog

green frog Senior Member

I am in Buffalo,NY and the past 2 seasons I was out 22,23 times. The min. to plow on contracts is 2.5 inches.
  3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

In Haliburton it's pretty safe to say you'll goout 10 times for sure. If you don't go out 10 times we're not going out at all. I think you are looking at 20 to 30 times but I don't live there, just going from what I hear. It will also depend on what your trigger is.
  4. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

buy a snow maker and create your own events. just be sure to get the places sorrounding your contracts too so they dont get suspicious. :alien:
  5. PlowOrDie

PlowOrDie Senior Member
    from ohio

The most reliable way to find out is to find out your county's average snowfall and divide that by what snow depth (trigger) you will plow at.

so if you're average snowfall is 50 inches a season, and you plan to plow only at 3 inches per event then you go 50 divided by 3 which equals around 19.5 events.

that info is = gold
  6. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

what if it only snow there four times but a foot each time? i think you should reconsider the logic behind what you posted and try again. my snow maker post was about as logical.
  7. PlowOrDie

PlowOrDie Senior Member
    from ohio

Ok, thats easy math also =

4 storms @ 1 foot a storm= 4 x (12/3) = 16 events.

but obviously, if you were to do this you would be an idiot.

i was just giving an idea
  8. Jbowe

Jbowe Senior Member

Wasilla Alaska, last year we plowed 14 times. 9 times before Dec 31 and five more times ending on March 22nd
  9. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

National Weather Service

I went to the national weather service website and found great info it was called the
    "Snowfall Threshold Climatology Derived from 1971-2000 Averages". It tells average amount of days with 1-2", 2-4" and 5" or more snow fall.
    If people want seasonal contracts I base my price off of this info, I actually have the charts printed out and show the potential customer that I am not talking cazy.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2007
  10. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

20 miles west of Boston I average 12 (plowable) storms per season. The most was 20 in 03-04payup the worst was 05-06 I had 5 Storms:cry:
  11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

12. Tuxx

Tuxx Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

Last season 22-24 plows Northeast Ohio