1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How many AMPS?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by snow4me, Oct 30, 2008.

1. snow4me

snow4me Senior Member

I've got a 1992 Chevy Silverado 5.7L 4x4 that I'm installing a 2006 Sno-Way 29 Series plow on. It's got the light bar and I'm going to be installing Sylvania 9005SU BP TWIN SilverStar Ultra headlamps in the truck. My question is how many amps is the stock alternator and what should I install for plowing? I see everything from 105 AMP up to 220...

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Might try finding the number on the alternator. But I bet this would not be any help unless it's the original stock one. Might try AutoZone, parts store, Sears? have them put it on the battery charging system analyzer.
    Tell them the truck was dead this morning, hummm don't know why?
    The analyzer should give you close to the total output of the alternator when they do the charging test.
    You need at least a 100 amp + alternator and the biggest battery you can fit on the tray. Duel batteries are even better !
    Use the search function above the page. Search " Charging" etc. Its a subject beat to death each year.