1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How many Amps do you have???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by progmc, Nov 7, 2004.

1. progmc

progmc Member

Just wondering what you guys run for a charging system. I have a 1989 chevy 3/4 ton and I need a bigger alt I think. I think that it still is the stock alt.

2. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Why do you think you need a bigger alternator?

If it is the original factory alt. (very doubtfull) it was an 85 amp. Most likely it was replaced with a 95-105 amp. That's about as high as you can go with a stock case on these models. There are specialty alts that go to 200 amp.

I suggest you figure out why you need more power, and maybe even go with a dual battery setup. A new ~100 amp alt and dual batteries will power just about any combination of lights and plows/spreaders,etc you can throw at it.

3. progmc

progmc Member

I guess that it just pulls alot of juice out of it every time I lift the plow. The lights dim heater slows down. I was told they can build me a 160 amp alt for $175. Is this worth it or should I try the two batteries first. Or maybe both?

4. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I'd load test your battery first of all. Make sure you have the highest CCA's you can buy (1000 at least).

Clean all your connections. Plow, battery, all grounds.

A so-so battery, with dirty connections, and a tired 85 amp alternator will surely cause problems.

5. progmc

progmc Member

Thanks for the help, I will give that a try monday. I will post in the pm.

6. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

First thing is check on how old the battery you have is. after 3 or 4 years it should be replaced. It is still ok for a car or truck without a pow but you need the battery to be in top shape for plowing. Next check all your connections, clean them real good and put some dielectric grease on them. Next test the plow and motor to see if it is drawing to much juice. if so find out why. Next check the output of the alternator. The out can be increased at lower RPM just by installing a $8.00 smaller pulley, next install another battery. (note if you install a new battery do both of them at the same time because a week one will draw down a new one). Then if all ease fails install a higher output alternator. installing a higher output alt. with out doing the rest first will not cure any of your problems.

I have plowed for 3 years on my old 76 F250 and a Meyers plow with a 65 amp alt with no problems with the electrical system.