1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How many ads are you competing against?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Grn Mtn, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

I just opened up my local community news (the free newspaper that has like two articles and 20 pages of ads) and there are 16 ads in it for snow plowing. Two guys are advertising Unlimited at $190 and two more say they guarantee the lowest price.

Come on guys, lets start selling ourselves on our service, the fact that we have insurance, we'll shovel your walkway, apply salt... Anything other than just how damn cheep you are.

Don't you want to make money :confused:
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

In my local paper, there are zero ads for snowplowing. Last year, I think there was only one other besides mine. My business card is the only one up at the local convenience store, too.

I might put an ad in the paper in a couple weeks.
  3. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

just one..........mine

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

My Local Paper Is Loaded I Use To Advertise In It But I Have That Same Problem To Many Low Balares In There. Word Of Mouth Works Better.for Me. :)
  5. plowed

plowed Senior Member

I posted this on another thread, but a guy around here is advertising 2 free plows if you sign up for the season.
  6. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

I dont have one in the new paper, but I have ads in the HS programs for football, theres about 50 different companys that sponsor it. About 5 are landscapers, and im the only ad in there that is a full page. I also have my ad in other places and im competeting against 10 or so. Theres about 100+ landscaping companys around here though, so 10 is nothing I guess. lol
  7. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I counted 49 lawn care ads today, only a few for plowing right now but that will change when we get closer to snow season. :rolleyes:
  8. RJ snow

RJ snow Member

I agree with ya there but as always the people round here are just lookin for a cheap deal and they don't think about service till they have a half foot of snow in the drive and want to go to work and still have that much there when they have to call and ***** at noon to get some service....guess some folks never learn. I had a prospect that wanted me to match last years prices and was upset when I refused to lower my quote even after I explained that the fuel costs doubled since last season. How these guys can guarantee a price that cheap is beyond me... even if they group a bunch of accounts in a neighborhood they won't be makin much per contract and costs may even put them into the negitive once the rumored fuel spike hit come early winter. Tell the price searching customers to hold on to your card for when they need somebody to bail them out from bad service. On a good note at least the newspapers have printed articles explaining that plowing and other winter services will see increases in prices along with heating oil gas & deisel during the winter months. Be careful and make sure that you don't get suckered into the price war cause when fuel prices spike we may be in for a sharp reduction in profit. Also its supposed to be a harsh and above average snow fall this winter. "payback for all that great summer time weather" Hey ya know if you get 15-20 accounts for 180-190 unlimited and it costs a 100 to fill the tank that doesn't leave much on the profit side of things. Last year there was about 25 plowing days but gasoline was only a 1.50-1.80. I've been reminding people of that and it seems to help them relize that the lowballers may end up being more of a hassle than what they save.
  9. RJ snow

RJ snow Member

Oh ya I forgot to mention that some of those guarunteed 180 contracts are only for specific areas like greece where the driveways are only double wide 20 footers and they won't take quotes in other areas.....Just another rebutal for a higher price. Some customers think when they see these ads that, thats the going rate and don't understand there just for certain areas.
  10. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

No ads whatsoever for me anywhere. People still call. I don't know where they come from. I tried the paper in the past. I got last minute shoppers, complainers, no payers, and people that wanted plowed for beans. Last year with no advertisements at all I turned down over 60 calls the first substantial snow. I guess the yellow pages ads from 3-4 years ago are still sitting in some of those people's bookshelves. We get the same thing with the newspaper though, guaranteed lowest prices, etc. Their customers start calling when the first snow flies and they are broken down, or stuck in a ditch because they were cowboying it in between jobs. Best of luck to those of you that only have a couple to compete with.
  11. nysnowman

nysnowman Junior Member

hey rj where are located,im in webster.My minium this year is $300 for the season ,how about you