1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How many accounts?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by IA Farmer, Nov 13, 2004.

1. IA Farmer

IA Farmer Senior Member

I have a 1/2 ton Dodge with a 7' 6'' plow and was wandering how many driveways can be done with a this size pickup and still be able to keep all customers happy, I dont want to get to many and end up losing all my customers because I'm going to fast to try and get them all done. Thanks Great site by the way I've learned a lot from all of you.

2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

It varys from person to person. I've got 23 accounts and handle them just fine by myself. :nod:

3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Trucks fine and the plow is a good size for driveways. Do you have to get out of the truck and shovel or are you just plowing? The way I look at driveways is. Are you going to have all of them done before they go to work? NO. So as long as they are done before they come home you are good. Is this a full time job or do you have to be elsewhere in the AM? Plowing snow is not like cutting grass. You don't know when it is going to snow. If it starts in the afternoon and is finished by 9 pm thats great. If it starts a 4 am and snows like h**l until 7 am well work with it. If it snows for 20 hours and drops 15" good luck. I would say you could easily do 20 houses maybe more if they are tight together and I mean all with a couple of miles of each other. In the snow business there is nothing better then EXPERIENCE. You will figure it out. GOOD LUCK :)

4. DJL

DJL Senior Member

Please specify "driveway".

One of my driveways is double width approximately 30 feet long. Another is single lane that goes about 50 feet into a two car width parking area. Another is almost 1/3 of a mile long with a three car garage at the top. Oh ya, some of these are on steep hills, while others have multiple turns in the, one is both windy and steep. Oh ya, some I can push the snow right to the side, another I have to back drag in front of the garage doors & turn around and push it to the side, another drive we have to pile the snow in one corner, and another drive I can push straight up. Oh ya, another of my drives is an ashphalt driveway while yet another is stone. Oh ya, some driveways I'm required to get out of my vehicle and shovel the sidewalks.

My point being, I don't think anyone can give you a solid answer because just about all driveways are different in some way or another. The best advice I can give you is to envision yourself in the driveway with your truck/plow. Think about things like were you are going to push the snow, do you have to turn the truck around multiple times to clear the driveway, how many passes do you have to make, if the drive is on a busy road is backing in and out of the drive (if needed) going to take some time to to high traffic volume, does the driveway bend and turn so that it makes clearing it more timely, etc. etc. etc.

Each drive will be different from the next in one way or another. You need to estimate the time it takes to do the driveways you are targeting. Don't forget to add in travel time to and from locations.

5. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Start with 1, if you can finish it and have a happy customer and time left over then take on another. Keep adding 1 at a time till you feel comfortable.
    There is no way we can tell you how many you could do, that is only a question you can answer. A few years of experience under your belt and you will know what I mean.

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

DJL and DWAN already touched on my thoughts. It's not the number of driveways that you want to determine, it's the amount of time that they will take and the sequence they need to be done. Get ones that can be timed so as to maximize your time and customer satisfaction. For an example of what I mean - my route in the past started about 5:30. This year I added a customer who leaves for work at 4:00, so now my route starts at 3:30. Then I drive about ten miles to get the next one that needs to leave by 5:30 and a neighbor of hers that needs to leave by 6:15. Then back to where I started (and doing three others on the way that need done by 8:00) for one on a 3/4 mile private road who needs to leave by 9:00 and finish up the route with the others who have no time needs. Total route time - about eight hours for 12 customers. Now any new customers will need to be line with my existing route.

7. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I normally do 38 driveways, in a suburban setting, most are in one area of town, a few are on the otherside of town maybe 4 miles away. Yesterday i did 44 driveways, flag downs and friends calling. I started at 4am and was out until around 4 pm. I was home for a while at 4pm then went back out for cleanup and to shovel walkways and stairs. This year i have my brother helping me, it will help to have 2 plows in big storms. Whenever we got alot of snow, it used to be HARD for me to handel it all myself in a timely manner. Average storm takes me about 4 hours if iam trying to go fast. Yesterday i was rusty and not exactly rushing.

As far as the truck, it will be fine for driveways.

8. gpin

gpin Senior Member

CJAs point of 4 hours is what I use per vehicle per average storm. If a big storm hits it could be 6 - 10 hrs. If you schedule 8 hrs for an average storm you will be in the weeds in a big storm. Also, as the work piles up and the weather gets worse, you get tired and that is when the mistakes and accidents occur.