1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How many 50lb bags can I carry

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Smitty58, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

Does anyone know the carrying capacity (weight) for a Ford F-350 srw? I have a 6x8 flatbed (see Brutus). Now I'm trying to figure how many 50 lb bags I can load on without overloading it.

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Look on the drivers door tag. It will list the carrying capacity of your truck.

3. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Your truck can handle a full pallet (50 bags). It'll make it squat a little bit but she'll be fine.

4. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

I could carry almost 2 skids in my 06' F-350 but that was pushing the limit. I only did this to get salt to my guys in town. My truck is a single rear wheel just like yors so it should be close.

5. WALKERS

WALKERS PlowSite.com Addict

Its a FORD for crying out loud as much as you are willing to put in there.wesport:drinkup:

6. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

Sometimes it's fun to post questions just to see the variety of answers.

Here's one, "which weighs more a ton of salt or a ton of feathers?"

7. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Salt

:jester:

8. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

You could not fit a ton of feathers in the truck bed. It would take up too much space. :jester:

9. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

ya, I'd say that they both weigh the same lol. But I would imagine that their volume would be slightly different haha.

10. ronnie dobbs

ronnie dobbs Junior Member

Had a 97 F250 7.3, routinely carried 5,000+ pounds of salt plus 8' blade, no problems. Truck rode better than a Cadillac, but only when loaded. A buddy of mine has a 2004 F250 gas that he has had pushing the scales at 14,000 pounds total with driver and blade. One of the harder thing on these trucks when loaded like this is if you do lots of turning at a stop. 99% of the time our lots were straight and wide open, so we were usually just going straight or moving pretty good while plowing/ salting.

11. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Weigh your truck at a cat scale and get weights for front and rear axle. I wouldn't worry about going over the GVWR of the truck, but I wouldn't go over the RGAWR (rear gross axle weight rating).

12. VBigFord20

VBigFord20 Senior Member

Yeah, really. If you ever see my F-150 without 1 ton of stuff in the bed driving down the road, call the cops because it has most likely been stolen.:D

13. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

If I am carrying salt in 50's it's 49 bags. If it's ice melt it's 56 bags. I usually have 80's though 30 of them( because I don't want to pay for 50's) !!! Oh yeah my truck is an 07 f-350 SRW. Load it up and just keep going untill it sounds expensive !!! Good luck !!!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  14. SnowGuy

SnowGuy Senior Member
    from NW Ohio

I have a 2005 F350 4x4 King Ranch CrewCab Powerstroke shortbed. I carry 70 - 50# bags and a full spreader when I leave the house ( spreader holds 650# ), for a total of 4150# and have never had a problem. I have done this with my last 4 trucks and have never had a problem. wesport