1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How low do you let your cutting edges go?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by starspangled6.0, Dec 18, 2013.

1. starspangled6.0

starspangled6.0 Senior Member

Both of our plows are getting low on the cutting edge depth. We started the year at about 4" left on each, and with all these tiny snow falls, we're down to about 2.5". I'm getting new ones for each plow today. How low can I let them go without risking damage to the plow or ineffective plowing? As far as I can tell, they both scrape as good as they did with brand new edges on them.
  2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Change them when you're ready. If they still scrap fine, keep them going. Just don't let them wear into the moldboard itself.....
  3. starspangled6.0

OK. So I'm assuming they retain their general effectiveness, at whatever length they are?
  4. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Width, but generally yes. Now, if they wear unevenly they can lose scraping ability. If you windrow alot the ends can wear down faster.
  5. starspangled6.0

Good info! Thanks! I've been checking ours a lot, and they wear pretty evenly. Most of our clientele is either drives, alleys, or small lots.
  6. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

During the winter I'll run them till there nothing left

Now if its fall and Im getting them ready for snow and I have 1''-2'' wear left I'll replace it So I don't have to do it for some time
  7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

About the time they hit the moldboard I figure I got my money's worth.
  8. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Same here. No need to change them until they are all used up. When it's time to change them plan on replacing the bolts too.
  9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

About 400 bucks worth I burn off them before I change them.You tend to burn them up faster on the light snows because your scraping blacktop to and it heats them up.
  10. starspangled6.0

Ok so our boss dealer is out of stock, but I got new 1\2" cutting edges, bolts, and curb guards with built in wear bars for $480 for the hiniker. Not too bad... The other dealer wanted $580. Hiniker puts 3\8" edges on from the factory, so this should be a nice setup.

Quick question... What if I take the old cutting edge, cut it to size, and weld it onto the leading edge of the new cutting edge? Hiniker does sell bolt on wear bars ($60), but this seems like a no brainer since I've already got the material and welder. Thoughts?
  11. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

make sure you pre heat both so wont become brittle
  12. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I weld hardened steel to the wings of my blizzard plows. It makes a huge difference in length of use.
  13. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Same here...
  14. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Well...... With a v-plow and some commercial lots that have a pipe sticking up just enough to catch the center ....

Usually a sledge hammer to straighten the two nose sections. After a while the wear prevents you from buying pieces. It's a kick in the tail to have to replace them early.

Toolking.com has some sales on blades through walmart online reselling. I was able to get 1/2" western v full kit for $300 flat - delivered.

You have to shop around - local's want way too much!
  15. starspangled6.0

I did shop around a little bit, and the other closest Hiniker dealer wanted $100 extra. I don't mind paying extra for good service- IMO, relationships are priceless, and money is meant to be spent in one way or another.

Going to fab up this new cutting edge with the wear bars shortly... more light snows on the way which means I better act fast!
  16. yardsmith

yardsmith Senior Member

I wear mine down until they're almost grinding the plow they're bolted on to. If its almost that close from last season, I'll change them in the fall while its still warm
  17. vlc

vlc Senior Member

I go till I wear through the trip edge spring mounts. Haha j/k!
  18. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

I go until I get about half an inch from the bolts, then I replace.
  19. RSE

RSE Member

My extreme V came stock with 3/8 cutting edge. I made it almost 4 seasons before the backdragging became useless. I have since installed 1/2 edges and "WOW"....what a difference.! Plow bites right in on forward pushes and pulls to the ground a whole truck length and a half during backdragging operations. I found out the town actually doubles up their edges on all the municipals. I didn't think that would be a good idea on the fisher though....so I went with the next thickness up.