1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How low can you go?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Longae29, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Had a nice meeting with a Building manager a couple weeks ago, really had a good feeling from the meeting, they weren't hiring who they had last year, they did some damage to the building and refused to pay (good business). Generally need a quality job done because of incoming/outgoing deliveries. They were also looking to have 4 houses of execs done as well, which are spread out, but one route or another had a truck going that way anyway. So this seems like the prime kind of account we are looking for unhappy with prior, looking for quality.

Got a call back today "we're going to be going with "xyz" they come recommended by one of our shop employees, they are going to charge us $65.00 an hour and $.13/lb for salt." I told him that if they are honest, he should expect to pay $91.00 for plowing and $60.00 for salt, and that when they don't show, or don't have the insurance to pay for what they damage, feel free to give us a call and we will pick it up at our rates.

It's just amazing how quickly rates are dropping around here.

2. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

It would be nice to get a hourly job around here at $65 feel LUCKY GUY!!! They don't care about your or my quality of service or honesty of hours actually preformed on their properties anymore, It's who's the cheapest!!!! an can suck the most you know what!!!

3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

.13/lb of salt...wow thats 260.00/ton. That would be a huge contract around here.

4. TPC Services

$ 260 a ton for salt!! Christ I would call over if we could get that here!!! Lucky to get $100 salt/sand a ton here!!

5. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Member
    from Ohio

We are seeing that type of thing in our area as well. We have watched some heavy hitters in our area... underbid the previous years' lowest lowball bid by more than 4% and still lose the bid this season. It is a shame.... truly a shame to see the lowered numbers this season.

6. TPC Services

I was meaning to say, $ 260 a ton for salt!! Christ I would Fall over if we could get that here!!! Lucky to get $100 salt/sand a ton here!! Not "call "
    I really need to stop typing in the dark at night!!