1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How long....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brant'sLawnCare, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

How long do you guys keep your plows before you replace them? I am thinking about replacing mine next year, because it is 9 years old, and I've had it now for about 2 winters. I bought it used. It has seen a lot of use here in WI the last few years. I just don't know how to judge when something is going to become unreliable. It has been great as long as I have owned it. Sound like I should keep it for another year? Or is that a pretty risky decision?
  2. micklock

micklock Senior Member

I started plowing in 1986 and I'm on my fourth plow. Every time I've replaced my plow it came with a new truck. But my newest plow I put on this year is on my jeep that I bought new in 2000.
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  3. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

On my GMC I had the Western put on when the truck was purchased new in 2000. This past spring I put a new mold board and "A" frame on it along with a new motor. Other than that its still orginal! IMO that was a better option than replacing everything. Cheaper as well! It sounds like a lot but if you add up new lights, pump, springs, shock, hardware, and the steel tower it saved me in the long run!
  4. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

The unimount on my 98 is 15yr old. Came on a 95 Chevy 3/4ton when it was new. I'm not sure what all has been replaced on it, but it still works good for me. It's going to need some freshening up after this winter to make it tight again but I don't see why it won't last another 5 or 10yrs without problems.
  5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If it works keep plowing with it.
  6. snobgone

snobgone Senior Member
    from CT

Plows will last a long time if they are maintained regularly. Check for stress cracks regularly so they dont become a problem and cause damage beyond repair. Every few years we blast and paint them, change all the pins including on the A frame and hydraulic lines. We have had some Fishers since 94 and they are still plowing (as back up trucks) and the blades are fine.
  7. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

My Diamond is a 1979. I refurbed it once when I did the conversion to the Fisher MM1 set up. I got it used in 1992 for $200.00.
  8. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Everything on a plow is replaceable- you could basically use it as long as you want.
  9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

My plow dealer knows my plows are always for sale.

Whenever he gets a guy in that's hot for a nice used plow, he sells one of mine.

Every year or every other it costs me under $1,000 for a brand new plow.

I look at it as an insurance. I always have new equipment, under warranty and it's not going to break down.
  10. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I just replace the wear parts on mine, and use them till they die. New pins, and paint every couple years, and forget about it.
  11. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I think I'm gonna keep it then. Probably get a new plow for my truck, and put this one on a different truck if I buy one. If it works good, then I think it would be stupid to replace it.
  12. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict