1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How Long?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jpeters, Oct 27, 2004.

1. jpeters

jpeters Junior Member

I am placing a bid on a school corporation. First year into snow removal and not sure how long it will take to clear the lot. Strictly pushing the snow. I have a GMC 2500 HD with a Boss 8' snow plow. I have other equipment lined up as well. Just wondering how much my truck can do in an hour so I know how to bid it. Thanks for all of your help!
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

General rule is one acre per hour with an 8' plow.

If you've never plowed before, a word of caution. Check your General Liability policy BEFORE you bid it. Mine changed this year. In the past I would have been covered for a school. This year, the agent said I'd need "municipal" insurance.

Not sure about yours but the RFP here specified that all walkways, pathways and paved lots where children MAY be present be kept free of snow and ice at all time; from 1/2 hour prior and after school hours. Additionally, parking lots and walkways must be cleared prior to 6:30AM for school personnel. Additionally, I would be notified at least 24 hours prior to school functions after hours. This means they could call you at 6:00PM one day to have the place cleared at 6:00PM the next day. Sure could wreck your schedule if it started snowing, say, 3:00PM and you've have to stop what ever you're doing about 5:00 to go and clear it. Finally, what the winning bid went for was ridiculous. One school went to a guy who traded tuition for plowing. Another went so low, the Superintendent agreed with me (it was half my bid - several thousand dollars for seasonal contract; unlimited service, unlimited sanding), but the school board specified low bidder to be the winner. I'll still bid schools, but just to keeping the lowballers low.
  3. jpeters

jpeters Junior Member

Thanks for the reply...My insurance is fine with it. I know what you mean by the low ballers. The guy last year did for 35 dollars an hour. Absolutely ridiculous. How can anyone make anyone money doing that? This year they have changed the bid to per lot so I thought I would try not expecting to get the account but might as well try. Thanks for replying that will help tremendously.