1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How Long would you Take???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by scottL, Jan 2, 2008.

1. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Especially after a storm I read the posts that folks are running 10hrs, 20 hrs, 2 days, etc. Yet, they then claim a few buildings, some lot's a few driveways, etc.

Part of me thinks theres a whole lot of 'fishing stories' going on part of me thinks I just don't get how the hours add up.

So, Here's an industrial lot I plow. It's about 80 car spaces total and has some specifics. What do you think you might take in time and what size/style plow are you doing it with???

Here's the info;
    1) Can ONLY pile snow where the green dots are.
    2) Assume the cars are parked as in picture when calculating time.
    3) Handicap spots facing building and can NOT push snow toward building.
    4) Dock lanes are wide enough for 5 semi's and deep enough for 1.5 semi's.
    5) Can not push snow across public streets.
    6) Long road on bottom is 22' wide.
    7) Assume a 5" snow fall of average weight ( not wet nor fluffy )

I'll give my time later .... I'd like to see some responses on this one and how you got to that number :D

2. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

best guess, About an hour
    8' plow with wings.

I assume the lot is mostly empty, little to work around (maybe 1 or 2 cars or 1 or 2 trucks, but not fill, 3am plowing)

What is the road to nowhere for? (on the bottom)
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2008
  3. DirtyJerzey

DirtyJerzey Senior Member

all of the car lanes are full or is the lot empty? if the cars are filling the lot I would say an hour of my work, no cars or trucks probably 2 hours
  4. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

It's actually considered a fire lane but, is sometimes used to for semi's to wait their turn.
  5. A Man

A Man Senior Member

With cars as they sit, assuming I'm cleaning out all the open spots,

I would say 1.5 hours cleaned to the curbs.

9'2 Boss XT

STRONGARM Senior Member

I would say close to an hour,give or take in my ford or dodge diesel. It would take a little longer in a truck with an 8' plow. Looks pretty straight forward.
  7. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

i am gonna guess 1.5 hours with a v plow probly 2 hours with a straight.
  8. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Little over an hour depending on what your using....diesel or gas truck, V or Straight blade, etc. With a straight 8' blade and a gasser, about 1.5 to 1.75 hours.
  9. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

I'd run our Volvo L70F, 14ft. pusher teamed up with one of the trucks, 8'6" blade.
    Under 30 minutes, stacked and squared.
  10. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

what does the motor matter? gas or diesel.. thats irrelevant to the amount of time it should take
  11. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

That's whay all gassers say:jester: I would say 1 to 1 1/4 hours.
  12. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

Sure a loader would be great but what if it is the only lot you have for miles and miles, then planting a loader with a 14ft pusher would be out of the question. This lot is not big enough.
    2 trucks one with a Blizzard 810. I would say no more than 1.5 hours, 5" of snow. No walks.
    Much less for 2-3"
  13. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

assuming Theres No Traffic On The Lot At Time This Is Being Done 2 Hrs No More Then That With A 3/4 Chevy And Meyers C8' Blade E60 Pump

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

With my dirty max diesel and 8'2'' vee i would say a hour and a half scraped to the curbs. No walks, and by myself. 2 trucks would be nice, 1 guy on one end 1 on the other.
    GIT-ER-DONE! How long does it take you?
  15. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I have a place almost identical and I actually plowed it yesterday with a 14 ft power angle blade and it took me around 50 min with 5" All the snow in the front parking lot has to be put in one pile though, so that takes time. In a 2" storm it takes me about 1 hour with a 9'2 V. I could do it faster but the pavement is terrible and I don't want to wreck anything.I think looking at it again, the place I do is alittle bigger, I'm not the best estimating off pictures.
  16. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Do you really think that a diesel pickup pushes more snow than a gasoline one? :dizzy:
  17. doh

doh Senior Member

A clean job would be 1 1/4 hrs, a fast job maybe an hour. If your bidding by the hour bid low then charge 1.5-2 hours
  18. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Plow time as lot is pictured 35 minutes.I will not plow between parked cars less than 4 spaces wide. Blizzard 810.
  19. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

I do a similar size lot but with more curbage/islands. I figure 1.5 hrs with an 8' blade.
  20. millsaps118

millsaps118 Senior Member

Some of you need to re-read the original post,"2) Assume the cars are parked as in picture when calculating time."

I would say about 2.5-3.5hrs w/5" on the ground, maybe more depending on the lot configuration with cars,trucks,trailer, etc....

If the lot configuration was exactly the way it was as shown in the pic with everything cleared curb to curb, I would say 2.0 - 2.75hrs. This would include back dragging all parking spaces w/2 or more open spots where you couldn't go thru and thru or push straight out. Back dragging all handicap up by building, back dragging loading dock areas as close to the building as I could get (6"), and clearing the fire lane road from edge to edge. Obviously I would be pushing all the snow to the designated areas as marked by the green dots as far back as I could get 'em, keeping in mind to leave room, for other snow fall events.

scottL- I'd be using a 8'2" Boss with wings in front of a 2500HD CC Chevy. I'm interested in hearing what this lot really takes, I think my estimate should be really close. Looks are decieving from and aerial and it's hard to judge distance. I'm guessing the main enterance from the road to the end of the lot (far right when looking at the pic) is about 350'. And from the building to the top is about 150'? And the loading dock area about 100'X100'???