1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How long would this take you?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mulcahy mowing, Feb 25, 2008.

1. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

I've posted a Google map of one condo complex I plow with my 2003 ford f150 you can zoom in and out on specific parts of the map. The complex on the right is minethe one with brown house units.

lets assume that there is 4" of snow and you have to clear just the roads and 6 3car parking areas. but you cannot have any windrow in the driveways when your done ( people complain when theres a pile at the end of drives) that means you can never angle the plow towards the houses. there is also a large hill on the large straight away.

hope you can get an idea of the account (had a hard time getting the map this nice)
    Just want to know how I line up with you guys it's not easy to push this account with my little 150.

<iframe width="640" height="480" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&amp;hl=en&amp;q=Emerson+Way,+Franklin,+Norfolk,+Massachusetts+02038,+United+States&amp;sll=42.081933,-71.438148&amp;sspn=0.007214,0.020084&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;cd=1&amp;geocode=0,42.082130,-71.428840&amp;t=k&amp;s=AARTsJoC9e3MC9VI-1zV2Oq0WzlIldWvxg&amp;ll=42.08128,-71.428728&amp;spn=0.003822,0.006866&amp;z=17&amp;output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&amp;hl=en&amp;q=Emerson+Way,+Franklin,+Norfolk,+Massachusetts+02038,+United+States&amp;sll=42.081933,-71.438148&amp;sspn=0.007214,0.020084&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;cd=1&amp;geocode=0,42.082130,-71.428840&amp;t=k&amp;ll=42.08128,-71.428728&amp;spn=0.003822,0.006866&amp;z=17&amp;source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

Last edited: Feb 25, 2008
  2. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor Senior Member

How is it possible to do that without getting any windrow on they're driveway. Even with a v-plow you can't do that. Those people need to suck it up. Doesn't seem like it would take long, but I'm not sure. Where can you pile the snow?

3. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Thats right its not possiable without leaving a windrow. On the other hand you could give each home owner a price to do their drives and remove the windrow. Now it becomes interesting.
    As for doing roads with a 150 I hope you don't get much snow. This would be the ideal plow for that. Just a suggestion, :)I know very little about plowing roads myself.

jc500-1.jpg

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Come on Paul, there's a way to do it without a windrow, you have a bunch of them your signature. ;)

5. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

What is the trigger? If you keep up with it you could angle to the center in front of each drive, but I would simply explain that it is a simple fact of plowing. They sound like whiners:cry:

6. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

It is possible not to and it would take me about an hour.I do two where it all has to go to the end, one a 37 house unit with driveways included, me and 2 blower guys can do it in 1 hour.

7. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Mark, I agree it can be done. You would have to blow some snow on their lots, but most can be blown into the parks, or empty lots. Depending on how wide the road is, blower is 7 feet wide, min. 4 passes. At 5 MPH, it would take some time.

I would put a plow on my tractor, do 3 passes at 15-20 MPH, then charge to clear their driveways, I like keeping it simple.
    I was just concerned that a 150 pick up, would have a hard time doing the job. But then again I'm a tractor guy.

8. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

I can do it without a windrow its not easy but it can be done, this one is a 1" trigger i'm there before it starts to snow I drop the blade as soon as I can and try to stay ontop of it. I plow other commercial lots also I run back and forth between lots. The most I have plowed is 8" built up on these roads on a busy night. normally takes me about 1-1 1/2hours to do whit about 3" of snow. its the biggest pain in my side to get done. We have guys that come and shovel out everything that needs to be shoveled.

I'm just a sub on this neighborhood although the company has a f550 come help me push piles back when the snow stops and a the dump trucks are done salting and such.