1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How Long Would This Job Take You?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by lawnlandscape, Dec 8, 2009.

1. lawnlandscape

lawnlandscape Senior Member

Heres a picture of this job. How long do you think it would take to do with a 3/4 Ton truck with boss V plow?

How would u bid it for salting and plowing? Thanks for your help guys!!

Attached Files:

2. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

30 minutes. As for what to charge, there is a simple formula:

Expenses+ the highest profit you could possibly get for this job, without being so high that you wont be able to get the job = what to charge.

It really is that simple, not trying to be a smart arse.
  3. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

20 minutes. $50 to plow. $50 to salt.
  4. lawnlandscape

lawnlandscape Senior Member

whoa.. lol I already gave them a quote... just wanted to see what others would think.

Ipushsnow: I've been in business long enough to understand there are expenses... im not a 15 yr old kid..

I quoted $85 per visit - $100 for salting
  5. pwill50

pwill50 Junior Member

Would probably say 35 to 45 minutes $90 and $120 for salt just depends on your operator.
  6. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

30 minutes first time, probably 20 after you learn it.
  7. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

are you ******* serious? we have driveways that we plow for $50 that take 3 minutes. $100 absolute minimum on commercial with walks, same for salting. i know the economy sucks, but half of you guys are just adding to the industry problems here. stick to your guns!
  8. Deco

Deco Senior Member

How much is on the ground ?

6" , 12" , 22".
  9. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Wow, you are totally awesome!

Here in Michigan, everyone has a truck with a plow on it. $100 for 20 minutes worth of work is nothing to scoff at. I'd probably actually be lucky to get it at that price.
  10. dchr

dchr Senior Member

Thats Fairfield county for ya :)
  11. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I'm one county over from dchr. i' got several lots that size. Getting
    between 130 - 175 for .5- 3" . 120 to sand. Cost of living here is
  12. Nelsen

Nelsen Member

In Cleveland....

Agreed with most of these guys. I doubt I'd bid less than $100 for that to push. I'd say it would take 20-40 minutes depending on the job you intend on doing and if you have a good system down already.

Salt is where I usually draw the line on pricing though. I basically only charge for my time and my actual cost of salt. I can't imagine I'd bid more than $60 total to salt that.

As far as inches for the one guy....6, 12? Lol. Whatever happened to the two-inch trigger?
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  13. jlouki01

jlouki01 Senior Member

I would normally have done that for 85 / 80-100 on salt. This year I have adjusted to account for a little drive time.
  14. ScnicExcellence

ScnicExcellence Senior Member

I would be at min 120 per push
  15. AIMscapes

AIMscapes Member

I doubt that lot is realistically doable in 30 minutes or less. If you pushed 1-2" you would be close to that, but at 4-6" you would be there closer to an hour. As far as salt pricing, that lot will use probably 300-400 pounds of salt to do it right. If you use 50 lb. bags at $5 each, you are looking at $30- $45 for salt alone. It would be less than half that if you use bulk salt. I think you should charge $110 for the lot up to 4" and add a few bucks for larger snowfalls. Salting will take you less than 10 minutes, so you should charge $75 for that. Good luck.
  16. ScottPA

ScottPA Senior Member
    from PA

I wouldnt even look at that place for 50$. And 50 to salt it? Nothing like spreading salt for less than cost or free. Might make a whopping 20$ after all expenses are paid. WOOOOOOOOOOOOH!!!
  17. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

$100 or so to plow.
  18. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Time required will depend on amount and type of snow, and how big your plow is, wings, etc.

Looks like a $100 lot to me. Less per push, more per storm.
  19. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

I have to jump on this band wagon!! At some of my accounts, I get $50 to show up before I salt, then I add $$$$ to every 100lbs I spread. Don't sell yourself cheap, All of our equipment takes a beating. One year you make a nice profit, and the next your spending most of it on repairs.