1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How long would it take?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Puddlejumper, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Puddlejumper

Puddlejumper Member

Just wondering about how long it would take someone to plow a 100'X100' open lot with no obstructions? Piling snow in one corner. Same question about a 200'X200' lot. We do several of these and the times my guys take varies greatly. TY
  2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

100X100 =10,000 sg ft with 2 to 4 inches should take 20 minutes

200X200 =40,000 sq ft should take lets say an hour.
    the question is what size blade are they using. that is the only way i can make an accurate assumption. I know i can clear 2-4 inches in a 75K sq ft lot in an hour with my 10 ft 4 inch blade. but that is putting it in two different corners with some obstructions.
  3. Puddlejumper

Puddlejumper Member

Sorry about that both of the trucks in question have 7'6" straight blades. How do you like the wings on your Meyer?
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  4. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Haven't you plowed the lots yourself???????????????
  5. Puddlejumper

Puddlejumper Member

Yes I have.

So what exactly would that get me? I know my times and I know my guys times. We all vary by a spread of an hour and fifteen minutes. So now I have one of the two variables for this equation. However as you know snowfalls are all different and other factors equate in as well. For instance on one occasion I had to deal with vehicles still parked on one of these lots. Just this one variable seems inconsequential right? Problem was the vehicles were blocking the pile. So how I approached this differed in how one of my guys would approach it later on with out vehicles blocking the pile.

I think that looking for an outside verification by people who do similar work is not beyond the realm of this website. I am looking to tighten up my times as I am making several bids for next year that is on a per push basis. I am building a comprehensive excel program to help in the bidding process.