1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How long would it take most of you to clear this lot?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by mojob, Nov 30, 2006.

1. mojob

mojob Member

This is one of my commercial mowing accounts that I'm talking about. I wish I could have attached a Google Earth picture of this place to give you a better idea, but I guess some space junk was in the way when the satellite snapped the picture. Here's what I got: An apartment complex consisting of 18 buildings, 2 acres of parking lot (horseshoe shaped with an island in the center with a few buildings on it), 2,833 ft of sidewalk, and (67) 3'x12' walkways. I have about 6 hours into it already and I still have to go back and clean it up a bit. This is with about a 4-6" snowfall. This is the first time I've plowed so I was out there learning as I went. With this in mind, I plan to charge accordingly. It would be very helpful to know how long it would take a seasoned pro to clear this place. My equipment includes: 8'2" Boss V, a Walker mower with plow attachment, and a Toro 2450. I know you don't have a lot of information to go on, but any help would be appreciated.

2. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

are you doing this by yourself?, your time seems a bit high, but if your doing it yourself I could see why so long. Also you really should have a 36" wide professional model snow blower for the walks. I love the Toro but its not intended to do that much work. How'ed the Walker with blade work for you? Too bad you can't put a blower on that.

Try another sat photo site, they might have a better picture.

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

This is the first time you've plowed and you scored an apartment complex like that? I'd say 80% of the people here (including me) are jealous. Good for you, though. Actually, I think that manager is a fool for hiring someone with so little experience. You probably gave him a smoking deal without realizing it and he just took advantage. I almost did the same thing when I started in the same type of set up. Fortunately, the manager talked to me enough that I decided, on my own, not to bid on it.

I agree with Grn Mtn that your time is probably high, but not considering that you are in your first season. If you'll keep at it, you'll get faster and you'll learn a lot in the process. I'd suggest keeping a little note pad and making notes of things you might do different. Maybe you can start looking around for someone to help... two trucks more than cut the time in half or someone to do the walks while your plowing.

As far as time, maybe 4-5 hours. Three hours (being generous) for the two acres of parking lots and two hours for 3/4 mile of sidewalk and walkways.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2006
  4. mojob

mojob Member

Thanks for the replies so far. Hey Grn Mtn, yeah I'm doing this solo. At this point in my plowing career, I have more time than I do jobs, so I'll have to remain solo for now. The walker blade works great. I did all the sidewalks and walkways in an hour and twenty minutes. I don't think I could shave much time off in this department. Walker sells a single stage and a double stage blower for the mower. I've seen video of both in action and they both were very impressive. I do the sidewalks that surround the buildings with the walker first and then do all the walkways that go from the sidewalks to each stairwell with the toro. What other website has satellite photos? Hey Mick thanks for the help. I have the mowing contract for this place and the property manager asked if I would take care of the snow removal as well. I knew I'd be biting off a big chunk, but I've always done pretty well in the past by jumping into things with both feet. I got most everything cleared the first time there(six hours). I went back today to touch it up a bit and to get a little more seat time. I don't have a snow removal contract with this place yet. The property manager asked me to go ahead and clear it if it snows and work up a bid to submit to the board. I was going to bill them for this first time and then work up a contract. They trust me to give them a fair price. I'm going to go with the five hours that you suggested. I think even a seasoned pro might find this parking lot to be hard to do. Always full of cars, little islands that jut out from the curbs and nowhere to put the snow. Grn Mtn, Mick thanks again for the help.

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Good deal. I wasn't thinking that you might have had the mowing business and the snow came from that. Since I'm not in lawn care, I don't tend to think in those terms. Sounds like you're doing fine. It'll be real good experience.