1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How long will transmission last?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by andcon83, Feb 1, 2015.

1. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

Hi all. My transmission (2007 gmc 2500hd Classic) seems to be hesitating when I put it in reverse. When I step on the gas and bring the rpms up just a few hundred, I can feel it clunk into gear. Now I know this isn't a good thing. What exactly is going wrong with it? And how much longer can I expect it to last?

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Hard to tell, my guess the planetary is on the way out
    If I was to guess and that's all it is, a guess.

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Reverse band is going out. Or low line pressure. Time line....soon.

4. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

Is there anything I can do to make it last as long as possible?

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

No. If you have to rev it to go, it's bad

6. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

I don't have to rev it a lot, but you can feel it kinda thump in. Barely step on gas.

7. DaBomb6988

DaBomb6988 Member

Make sure your fluid isn't low. Check it with the engine running and on level ground. If thats checks out ok I would prepare for a visit to a trans repair people. Might be able to limp it through the winter. Just go easy on it.

8. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

Ok. Is there any additive that could help at all?

9. DaBomb6988

DaBomb6988 Member

There's 100's of additives that claim to "fix it". I know lucas has a decent reputation among others. You can try it. I don't think I would hurt anything. Just make sure you remove an equal amount of trans fluid that you're going to put in. An over full tranny is just as bad as a low one. But IMO no it probably won't fix it but it worth a shot I guess.

10. Sprag-O

Sprag-O Senior Member

Filter may be clogged up... It could be on it's way out, and loading the filter full of friction material. Once pressure starts dropping things don't lock up as quick, clutch packs start wearing even faster, and it snowballs.

Not familiar with this transmission, but I'm betting a quick clean-out, and some additive with friction modifier (Lucas?) may buy you some time.

11. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

I change my tranny fluid and filter every fall before the plowing season. Maybe a little overkill, but I figure why not.

12. JDosch

JDosch Senior Member
    from Joliet

I do exactly the same thing. As well as go through the entire truck top to bottom.

13. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

Not going to tell you how long it will last but will tell you to have it checked and repaired. Money can be saved, parts can be salvaged with a bit of proactivity. Wait till it goes much more damage along with more expensive repairs may/will occur. FYI, we use GM trucks both gas and diesel.

14. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Only drive in forward:laughing::laughing:????

15. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

Get it fixed so it doesn't damage more components and/or go down during an event. Do not procrastinate!

16. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

Get it fixed so it doesn't damage more components and/or go down during an event. Do not procrastinate!

17. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Does it go clunk when you put into drive from reverse?

18. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Hopefully he's gotten it fixed sometime in the last ten months