1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How long will the truck last....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Sno, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Sno

Sno Senior Member

I covered an account for a contractor in town while he was on vacation, plus my own accounts.

Well, we recieved about 8" with many 24" Drifts while he was gone.

Two accounts where about 800' x 800' lots.

I plowed non stop and around the clock for two days straight.

Then the residentials started calling in. Ran a tank and 1/2 of gas out.

How much abuse will a 2000 GMC 3/4 ton take before I start having problems?? I kinda felt sorry for my truck.

Anyone track the maintenance that close on a reletivly new truck? Or have any hindsight?

Truck is now at 39,000 miles and was mostly used on 100 x 100 lots and residentials.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2003
  2. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Hey Sno.....I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 x-cab witha Boss 7.5 SD and we plow lots twice that size, as well as res. HOA with about 5-8 miles of roadway in them. I do the regular scheduled maintenance as the factory states and just cut the time / mileage in half. A well maintained truck & plow should last years and years. NO Bonzi plowing, just nice easy pace. All of our customer called and thanked us for a very good and timely job after our last 8" storm.

Kip www.indysnowplowers.com

3. Sno

Sno Senior Member

I have a better understanding of "Plowing with the storm" now... LOL

4. KentuckyPlow

KentuckyPlow Member

" Ran a tank and 1/2 of gas out."

That's not bad, we use a tank of gas on one job.

5. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

thats kinda what I was thinking, I filled up 6 times during that storm:eek: but thats what a big block will get ya, including mo powa!!:p

~Nate~

6. Sno

Sno Senior Member

Ha, well, I used to run a 5 - 6 hour route with 1/4 tank.....

That was new to me.

7. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Sno, I wouldnt worry about it at all,just keep it maintained and dont abuse it. I burn 2-3 tanks in my 91 GMC everystorm.No big deal,that truck's been doing it for many,many yrs. My Dodge burns about 1-1.5 tank which is eqaul to 2-3 tanks in the GMC.The only thing that happened to the Ram is a leaky T case output seal,(my own fault for not changing it when i pulled the trans) and the lift pump on the engine a $140 transfer pump) started to go bad,I changed it under warranty at 55K,before it failed(I have a fuel pressure guage and can monitor pressure full time,and seen it gradually weakening) If you are going to plow this much it pays to maximize your efficiency,this is why i bought the V plows,I knocked 3-4hrs off my routes with both trucks,now i can keep up even in the 2 ft of snow we had last week.If your runnign a 8 ft straigh blade maybe wings wil help if you have open lots.The blizzard is probably the best plow you can put on to save time, I think my Boss 9'2" is right behind it.It is very fast.