1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How long will salt last in a v box hopper?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Mick76, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Alright, already did a search but could find the info I needed to know:help:..... so I'll be using straight salt this year with some of my lots (in the past years I used salt/sand combo) and I need to know if this will be a problem... how long can I expect the straight salt to stay granular in my hopper? I'll be filling up during the storm at my suppliers but I'm sure I'll have some left in the hopper after the event is done.... I park my truck in a heated garage and yes all the snow and Ice melts off.... my question is will the evaporation of the snow/ice and the heat make my salt stick together? I din't have a problem with my salt/sand mixture but didn't know if straight salt would react differently?

TIA
    Mike

2. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

anyone?... comon' I used the search button first:D

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Hey, A for effort!

Straight salt can/will "freeze" in your spreader. The heated garage will help of course. I loaded one night thinking I would be all smart and go with straight salt this storm. Next morning I couldn't get it out. My advice would be to empty the unit when you're done. You can either empty it in the dooryard to shovel back in later, or "give it away"

Better yet, tell mama you need a loader:D

4. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I would never say its ok to leave salt in a spreader......in a heated garage, well, you might be ok....but its still not good practice. How much will you really have left over? Is it really worth holding on to? Just spread it out on your last couple jobs....you should know how much you use after the first few runs of the season. I am saying this, because I have tried what you are saying with a flat bed truck that had a tailgte spreader on it. We would load salt in the flat bed and shovel it in the spreader. When the route was done the truck would get parked inside a heated shop. We had the heat go out 1 time, of course the salt froze. This was not as big of a problem to solve as it would be with a vbox, but still a PITA.....I did find the salt to have a gummy texture to it sometimes....I think this was due to the salt being wet when it got back to the heated shop and then sitting in there. Basically what I'm trying to say, is that i think its not a good idea to "plan" on having salt left in your spreader no matter what the conditions. good luck

5. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

I leave my truck & v-box in the heated shop with anywhere from a full to a partial load on almost all winter. Doesn't make sense for me to go get a less than full load and it doesn't makes sense to waste it just to get the truck empty.

6. snocrete

snocrete Banned

It seems this would be harder on everything that what it already is? Now in the instance of being in a region where the weather is worse than where I am at, I guess I could see it? Do you ever wash your spreader during the winter?

7. cretebaby

Only if we get caught up and there is a obvious dry spell to follow.

But to answer the OP's question, the salt will not cake more than a slight crust on top when kept inside the heated shop.

8. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Thank you all!

9. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

the question is not how long the salt will last in the V box. its how long the V box will last with salt in it.

10. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

HAHA I would empty it out, if something does happen it will ruin your day. It happened to me once and that was it. I has custom covers made for our spreaders to keep out the snow and ice when the trucks are not in the garage, it works well

11. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Chances are pretty good that the OP is in a much higher humidity area than you are as well.

If the salt doesn't completely dry out while in the shop there is a possibility of it freezing up.

12. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

You will have have no worries leaving salt in your spreader parked in a heated shop\garage.

I would suggest topping it off at the end of each run, then park it.......you will improve your response time for each subsequent run.

13. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

We fill all of our trucks in advance of a snowfall / freezing precip and park them inside, that coupled with beet juice last year, we never had a vbox freeze up. a little bit of "prewarming" goes a long way, and when its time to get it done, guys can just hop in the truck and fly.

14. cretebaby

Duh ............

15. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

I keep my spreader full of straight salt all of the time, non heated garage, very tight fitting cover is the key, IMO, I've had mine full for a 2 week dry spell with no problems.

16. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Is this other's experience with a cover also? I'm looking at adding a Vbox this winter for the first time. The vbox I'm looking at is a used gas powered stainless steel buyers, with a tarp.

Would salt pretreated with calcium chloride store better in a vbox?

17. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

So you must know the answer now that it's benn a year. How did it go for ya.

18. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

No issues w/ the straight salt and I had a cover also. I have a tendancy to over think things.....

19. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

Not that I don't preload once in awhile, but in most cases we pull out of the shop and load as we leave. (The shop is heated) It only take a few min. to load and when you're done, back up in the bin and fire out what's left in the salter. Now; wash, grease & oil then repeat these steps. That way your next question won't ask what to do with a solid mass of salt inside the v-box.

20. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

We preload and park inside with loads tarped, we keep the shop 47-50 F in the winter, warmer if the mechanic is in working. I am leary to leave thing loaded between events and I'd never top off a load that was snowed on, I've been down the frozen Vbox road and I'll never go there again......