1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How long will it take?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by cold_and_tired, Oct 4, 2011.

1. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

Got a phone call for a building in town and need a little help figuring how long it will take. I will have at least one backhoe with a 12' pusher and one skid with a 10' blade available for this job.

These machines run as a tag team with the skid doing the detail work (back dragging, cleaning curb lines, etc) and the backhoe moving the majority of the snow to the pile.

Anyway, the red line border is the lot and the blue box represents where the pile is going to be.

I'm thinking 1.5 hours per machine at most. Sound right? We will be pushing every 2-3".

This will be my first year using the pushers on the backhoes so I am a little unsure on their real world production.

vitamin cottage 1.jpg
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I can do it less then 2 hrs with my truck.
  3. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

Ya I think a backhoe and a skid loader would be a bit overkill for that lot. I would say an hour max with the backhoe, maybe a little bit longer with the skid loader. Not to hijack your thread, but what site is that aerial photo from?
  4. cold_and_tired

They are a little overkill, but it's all I have. Most of my lots are substantially bigger than this one. I got the photo from google earth, snipped it and drew on it with Paint.

Doing a little planning, I think I will just have the skid do it. Should be 1.5 - 2 hours.
  5. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

One hour tops with the skiddy... keep the backhoe busy at another lot and have the skiddy go over after hes done with this lot, to do the detail of the lot the backhoe is working on.....
  6. cold_and_tired

That's similar to what we do already except we let the skids get a head start of 2-3 hours. They get the back dragging done and get the curbs cut in then we come in with the backhoes and finish up the lots.

It's kind of a whole new ball game this year. Last year I ran two skids (pusher and blade), one truck and one backhoe with a bucket. This year, I am running one skid (possibly two), a truck and two backhoes with pushers. It's gonna be a learning curve to say the least.

I've finally got my current contracts to move away from hourly and go with per push or seasonal but now have to face bidding lots with equipment that I have never used.

If all goes as planned, I will have 6-8 hours of work for a skid in a two block radius. That frees up the truck to do detail work for the backhoes.