1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How long will it stay Melted?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Green Acres, Dec 11, 2000.

1. Green Acres

Green Acres Junior Member

If you put salt down on a lot how long will it keep the ice melted till it freezes up again? It'a bout 10 degrees here. Any advice you can give I would apperciate it. Thanks

2. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Too many variables to even guess at an answer.

How heavy was the application?

How much snow/ice was melted already?

What was the temp when the application was made?

Has it been snowing since you applied?

I tend to feel that this is one of the things you have to learn by trial and error.

3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Well first off at 10 degrees it will refreeze right away. Salt is only effective to about 17 degrees. That is why the magic salt is so effective, we had temps last week around 5 degrees and our lots had some slush and alot of wet pavement.
    All my competitors had refreeze issues all night, while the magic salt prevented that from happening. Now that I have one under my belt, I will sleep alot better when I carry wet pavement through the night. Whats more , is that we had some light frezzing drizzle last night, and the residual magic in the pavement melted the drizzle as it came down. On my seasonal accounts, I am saving big money.
    But for a rule at recommended application rates of salt, it will melt about 1-2" of snow, so however long it takes ofr that to happen will determine how often you need to reapply.
    But with temps in the middle teen on down, look for regular salt to refreeze right away.
    Dino

4. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Good point Dino, I never even thought about salt not working down that low. I may get to explore that a bit more tomorrow, 1-3" by tomorrow and dropping temps into the high teens overnight. I've got 3 tons on the dump truck right now, with about 18-20 gallons of Magic poured into it. Will be interesting to see how well it mixes going through the feed augers. When that load is gone, or if we have to load the vee box, we'll pull out of the bin, that is treated at 8 gal/ton and has been sitting a month.

5. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

This is why I use sand/salt mix vs. straight salt, when it refreezes with sand mix you still have traction, straight salt u are back to sheer ice.

6. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

You mean I am not the only one useing sand/salt mix? I feel better now.

Geoff

7. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

Straight salt is all but unheard of here. The climate/weather is such that refreezing is always a problem, and straight salt is just not cost-effective nor efficient in providing traction both for vehicles and pedestrians. And the damage it does to vegetation, clothing, concrete, automobiles, bridge expansion joints etc is a whole other topic for discussion.

8. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Thats what I have been saying for the past year on this thing.

Geoff

9. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

An d I agree with that staement if you are using straight salt. But with the magic salt we had wet lots last Friday night and temps into the single didits to around 10 degrees, and I was wicked scared that it was going to refreeze. Guess what it didnt, it stayed black and wet all night. My lots were all clear the next am, while everyone elses had pack and sand thrown on top. What lot do you think people will notice?This stuff really works, and that is what John Parker and I have been saying for the last year. I wont lie to sell a product, and if I am a little unthusiastic, its because I believe in what we have and want to see others derive the same bennies I am getting, so your jobs are made easier.
    Dino