1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How Long Will A Good 'Ol 7.3 Really Last

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by DeereFarmer, Dec 10, 2007.

1. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I was looking at a '97 F350 today with the 7.3L diesel. Nice truck, but it has 261K miles. It has had two owners. The current owner is a restorer and changes the oil every 3,000 miles and seems to be on the ball. Should the mileage really worry me?

2. J29

J29 Senior Member

That's getting up there in my opinion. Especially if you don't know what kind of engine work has been done on this truck, you could be looking at some major repairs coming up. That engine just got recalled too, so you'll have to make sure that got taken care of. If I were you, I would keep looking. Being an F350, I would have to think that truck has done alot of work to put on that many miles, that's close to averaging 25k per year. Also, even though I owned a 97 F350 PSD, I was NEVER a fan of the E4OD auto. Just my thoughts, hope that helps ya FTO. J.

3. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

much more

I had a 96' F-350 that I bought new. The kid that owns this truck now calls me a few times a year and the last I spoke with him it had close to 700,000 on it. The truck has had only minor repairs done, no major overhaul. The biggest repair so far has been a rebuilt transmission then a wiring harness for the injectors, and a water pump. This truck was not babied when I had but it maintained regularly as it is now since the boy lives on afrm so it still gets used quite hard.

4. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Unless its a steal of a deal, I would take it to diesel shop for a engine diagnostic before buying.

5. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

under "normal" driving PSD are good till 300-350k some guys are calming to have well over 500k on them before and over haul . if shes been baby'd might be worth looking into . if not prob can find a better deal . i dunno if wanna travel for a psd but theres a place near me that sells alot of diesel pickups and there priced well for a working man's
    wallet too. as far as the recall i haven't read fords website and the recall was on CPS thats been a problem for along time most guys keep a spare in the glovebox. unless there's not something posted on fords website that i dunno about

6. KATTRANSPORT

KATTRANSPORT Senior Member

The older 7.3's are not involved in Ford's recall. Anyways the recall is for a sensor its no big deal. 260k on a 7.3 wouldent scare me away. 260k on a 6.0 would make me hit the ground running. 7.3's are very reliable and EASY to repair and there is enough people who are GOOD are working on them so its usually not much more then a gasser. I woud take a high milege 7.3 over a no milege 6.0

7. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

I am pretty sure that is a half a million mile engine. Now whether or not you want to be the one to put those 500k miles on it and foot the repair bills in the mean time is another story. I think it would go to 500k though.

8. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

Some will last a long time... however mine with 156,000 blew up and it has been maintained to the letter of the book since the day it was new! So it could really go either way!

9. DeereFarmer

Thanks guys. The truck ahs been babied. Thr guy is the second owner and has all the repair bills and maintenance records. It was a North Carlolina truck and has NEVER seen salt. It looks like new. It might just be worth taking a look at. It wouldn't plan on keeping it too long. I might keep it 2-3 years and that would be all. Once I get on ym feet a little better I'd get a new one. I only drive about 9,000 miles a year at the most because for now I work at home. I figure the worst that could happen is that it'd need a new engine and tranny!:D

10. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Price Tag is also important First time. That truck isnt worth MORE than $5000. Keep that in mind when the guy thinks his truck is worth $9400 because it was only driven on Sundays.

11. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

I have 241K miles on mine and have only changed the oil and changed one water pump. It runs like new! My dad has a few guys that have well over 500K miles on theres with only regular maintence. I know of one transporter that has a 01' with 1.3 million miles on his original 7.3! I see him at the one truckstop in Indiana once or twice a month. There was an article in a magazine about him (can't remember which one, but he carries it with him in the truck). International wants the engine back when it dies and they will give a fresh one! When I find the article I will post it.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2007
  12. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

I have heard a million is possible!

Thats really impressive though!

13. OldSchoolPSD

OldSchoolPSD Senior Member

My '95 is over 500k on the original engine and tranny. Changing the oil every 3k is excessive, but as a buyer its a good thing for you because the truck shouldn't have developed any injector problems. Regular service intervals are the key to keeping the HEUI system in line.

The truck is worth whatever someone will pay for it. A cherry '97 will bring 10 grand around here.

The E4OD is pretty sturdy if you chuck the stock torque converter for a 6.0 converter or an aftermarket triple disc, the one in my blue truck is a stock Ford reman with a transgo kit, PI Stallion converter, and over 100k of sled pulling, plowing, and racing at almost 500hp. My other auto runs a stock ford reman with a 6.0 converter and a transgo kit.

However, listen to the voice of experince here, when that stock converter starts getting loose you better replace it before it clogs the trans up with clutch material or overheats from slipping.

My opinion, I would give the truck a good once-over then buy it if I couldn't find anything wrong.

14. DeereFarmer

His price is high, but it has a ton of extras and he said he's willing to work on the price. He said I could take it to my mechanic and have him check it over. This is my dream truck. I've been looking for it for the last 3 years. It would just be a play truck and daily driver. Nothing really more.

15. OldSchoolPSD

OldSchoolPSD Senior Member

Like I said try and find one in decent shape for less than 10 grand, they are few and far between. I'm an old body style die hard, I paid $13,600 for my blue truck at 74k miles.

16. DeereFarmer

Do you know if he has a website? Thanks!

I am really looking for an OBS and they are very hard to find. There are 5 listed on Autotrader withing 300 miles of me. I don't mind traveling at all. I want to find a truck that is mint and I don't mind paying for it.

17. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Dont talk yourself into spending more money than you have to chief. Just lookin out for you :salute:

18. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict

That E4od would be my only worry. I almost bought a 94 f350 psd dump truck another landscaper was selling. He bought it brand new. Truck has 114k on it and has had 3 trannys in it. Those E4od are not the best for all that torque but you can get them rebuilt cheap.

If it needs a tranny, get a heavier reverse gear in the new one if your gonna plow with it. Reverse always seems to be a big issue with them.

19. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

yes man hey ya go they have more on the lot then what they have listed on website . just don't take that red 03 psd w/ 7.3 on me thats my chirstmas present ok LOL

http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/dda/index.jsp?dealership_view_name=www.crosscountryent.com

20. DeereFarmer

Oh I know. Thanks tho. I'm really just dreaming now haha. He would have to drop his price for me to even consider really talking to him.

The automatic tranny is my biggest concern. He says that it shifts great and has no problems. No matter what the whole truck would be gone over with a fine-tooth comb by my mechanic. There is no doubt there.