1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How long were you out???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by LB Landscaping, Dec 11, 2005.

1. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

Was out for 21 hours went home and slept for 6 and then went out for 5 more. Did my route and then a buddies route that was having problems, made for a very long night. How'd you guys do???
  2. makplow

makplow Senior Member

I sub contract plow for my town. We had about 12 to 14 inches. I was out for 15 hrs. :salute:
  3. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

I was out for 17 hours, slept for 4. Then back out for 3 hours more.
  4. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

About the same as everyone else, 13hrs. slept for a few then back to clean up for about 3 more hrs.

All in all a long day, need more :sleeping:
  5. MJM Landscaping

MJM Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

Friday 10:00 am to 1:30 am sat. morning
    Sat. 7:00am to 3:00 pm
    Both trucks
  6. Dirt_Werx

Dirt_Werx Senior Member
    from MASS

13 hours on friday, that was fun considering the white-out conditions that forced us to park and wait it out everyonce in a while.
  7. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

total of about 14 hours including cleanups.
  8. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

in the philly area we got 8in and i was out for 9 hours only b.c i had another jjob to go to but some of the other guys were out for 12hrs...made some moeny tho lol...
  9. snowdevil

snowdevil Junior Member

Friday Storm

plowed 6 a.m. to noon on one very large account to keep from needing a loader with a snow pusher, then took care of open businesses then residential that were calling then rest of everybody on half commercial half residential route in Danbury. Total time 12hrs on Fri 6 on Sat. Next big snow I will need a second truck in a daytime storm to take care of the business accounts better.
  10. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Had about 6" Thursday afternoon/evening.

Went out Thursday dropped blade @ 8pm, pushed all night and then all day friday, stopped at 10:30 Friday night I was dozing behind the wheel on my largest account I was trying to plow some open lanes there (its a church, the staff would be in the next morning so I was trying to make parking spots for them and open entrances) so I went home and slept. I should note that I only had 4 hrs sleep Wednesday night before all of this, and usually been gettin 6 hrs a night previous few days before that... Slept 8 solid hours Friday night, went back at it Saturday 8 am, worked till 5 I finally finished.

All told I logged almost 35 hours in the truck by myself. Friday morning at 2:30 am I blew the plow pump solenoid and didn't have a spare, none of my buddies did either. Spent probably almost 3 hrs going a few towns up to a 24 hr shop and getting one then getting back to town. I went home for breakfast Friday morning also, and home for supper Friday night (kept it fairly quick). Saturday I took off almost an hour for lunch. My church lot took 5 hours to do Saturday and I had spent a half hour up there before that trying to open a couple lanes and parking spots for staff. On Saturday I got enough opened before lunch that I could take off some time so a friend who works at the church went with me and we had a nice sit down meal, was nice to get a break from the truck. I'd been doing good up till 8 pm Friday night, but man i sure felt much more rested Saturday I was good to go! Right now I just got done making up bills to send out. I'm happy with the amounts I'm seeing due :) I'm tired as all get out but I'm ready for more anytime!

Plus my phone was ringing off the hook constantly, did a few side jobs and got gobs of additional accounts for the season!!! advertising pays!!! Now I have about doubled my workload and income per storm now. Which will be nice :) but I will have a hard time doing it all myself. I found me a sub too so that will be nice. He has some of his own jobs but not enough to keep him as busy as he'd like (thats the spot i thought i would be in, guess i was wrong LOL). Think I now have 10 commercials and 11 residentials, and a few others that had me do it once this storm and I think will sign seasonal contract. Plus I did a couple drives for my neighbors who all have helped me or loaned me tools/equipment stuff on various occasions...
  11. BIGRED1

BIGRED1 Member

Town called us out at 0900 and knocked us off at 2300. Then did 3 hrs of side work... Are we having fun yet?????????
  12. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

Friday I went from 8:00 A.M. to 6:45 P.M. with a 30 minute break for lunch and Saturday did clean up for about 2 hours. In the middle of the day, it went to white-out conditions for a while. Made it really hard backing up.

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

I was out for 16 hours slept for 4 hours back out for 3 hours. Got stuck for about 30min but Thanks to LB Landscaping I got pulled out! Thanks Jeff I owe you!:drinkup:
  14. QuadRacer041

QuadRacer041 Senior Member

i went out friday morning for a while to get my lots cleared then back out at around 10:30am when the snow stopped and did everything.back out saturday morning to salt.
    total of about 12-14 hours.
    some of you guys really log some long hours.are you guys doing residential stuff too?if so, dont those people ***** that your not showing up in some cases 24 hours after the snow stops???how do you handle that?
  15. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Average storm I am out 20-30 hours. We hit several 24 hour places that have constant traffic. Always stuff to cleanup. I am always first man out and last man in. I set the bar for my employees and subcontractors. With that said, if someone needs time off, they get it. I don't want them to over extend themselves. I just don't need much sleep. 3-4hr per night average.

For those asking how do you do it? Water. Keeps you hydrated. Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, bananas, tuna, etc. Eat good and drink water. Eat energy food. The gas station foods (candy, Little Debbies, donuts) are quick energy but don't supply your body with the long haul energy. Coffee, Mountain Dew or energy drinks like Red Bull are caffeine shots that give you a quick boost, but don't give you staying power. Hope this helps some of you guys that need to log the long hours.

I also must add, I think I am a physical oddity as far as how little rest my body needs to work. With odd sleep patterns and physical labor all year, I suppose I will pay for it down the road. We offer parking lot sweeping, mowing, landscaping, plowing, and more. This requires me to be available 24/7 for my customers and employees, so it is a good thing I am this way.
  16. KMS Services

KMS Services Junior Member
    from iowa

I was out for 24 hours twice and 14 a third time and yes, some of my residentials didn't like that and about 4 dropped me. Oh well, my commercials come first. Next year tho, I will have a dedicated guy doing the residentials at the same time as the commercials are being done. There's only so much one guy can do within 24 hours of a snowstorm...but I got tons of calls and had to start turning them down.
  17. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser Senior Member

About 30hrs for me with no sleep luckily I'm young and my mountain dew helped too. Boy did I sleep good when I was done, I'm still recovering from the lost sleep.
  18. Stoney

Stoney Member
    from NW OHIO

I started at 7:00pm Thursday and parked the trucks about 5:00pm Friday. Went back out around 12:00 Saturday for a couple of hours to take care of drifting.
  19. bcf

bcf Senior Member

The 7-8" we got had me out about 12 hrs. The snow got real heavy around 2 pm, but that's what the snowblower was for.
  20. JDsnowremoval

JDsnowremoval Member
    from CT

Lets see we went out at 4:30 Friday morning i dident back home till 1:30 sunday morning, Slept for 4 hours then went back out for another 5 hours..... IM tired lol