1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

How long to to 20,000 sf of walks?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Bossman 92, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Alright so an existing customer emailed today needing a price to clear 2,600 linear feet totaling almost 20,000 sf of sidewalks that range from 4' to 12' wide. We would be using single stage blowers as the snow will not be able to accumulate more than 2". My question is how long should it take 2 guys to clear 2" of snow from the walks?

I leave tomorrow afternoon for a 2 week moose hunt and I have to have it turned in before I leave. Thanks for any info you can give me.

2. Blizzard1980

Blizzard1980 Senior Member

I would suggest getting a quad with plow in front and you would be done in no time. Blowers would take too much time. Quad is the way to go If you stay on top of it when snow starts to accumulate.

3. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

skid with 8 ft blade or blower...what you propose is clearing 20 inches at a swipe...think about it...

4. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

I do ALOT of shoveling & for under 2" I'd not even bother with a blower prob faster with a shovel, is it heavily used walks/compacted snow? if not I'd say use a 26-32" shovel, It should take about 1.5-2.0 man hrs thats by shovel, if you talking 2.5"-3" of snow I'd say ad 30-45min

5. Blizzard1980

How would skid with 8 ft blade work on 4 ft sidewalk?

6. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

I agree a shovel is usually faster than a snowblower on real light snows. But why on earth would you shovel that much sidewalk? Mechanize it and be able to do five times that amount in the same amount of man hours. ATV is a good option.

7. Blizzard1980

Amen.
    As i understood he has a low/ zero tolerance walkways to take care of. Too much for shovel , not enough can accumulate for heavy machinery. Just my cent and a half. Or maybe its a 6pack i just had talking..

8. Bossman 92

Thanks guys I really appreciate the help. Yea a skid will not work for us on a 4' walk. If we get the work I probably will set a quad with a plow up but I am priceing the work with the intenions of using walk behind snow blowers. Thats all we use/need now so I am trying to price it the same for now.

So is BC right in thinking less than 2 man hr? Seems real low

9. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I was going post 3 hrs for blower but with atv doing it be like 1 hr on 2'' of snow I use to have one that size

We had blizzard and I hired a guy with a blower he was there for 5 hrs cleaning 12'' snow off walks
    I figure in light snow a blower could run faster I say you be at 3 hrs

10. zlssefi

zlssefi Senior Member

sweepster broom, broom it to the edge and run a blower around to pick it up and throw it into the grass, with less than 2 inches thats the quickest way for sure, and itll be dry when your done.

11. BC Handyman

I got a 1400' X 6' wide walk I do that is a low snow tolerance account so under .5" we putting melt down, over .5" we shoveling, sometimes we got to do it 3-4 times a day. It takes about 1hr plus or minus a bit depending on how many poeple have compacted it. On a 3" snow it takes about 1hr with 2 guys, so 2 man hrs, I figure if you doing it when it under 2" I think it should only take you 2 hrs. I will say though I dont have anything in way, no benches, shelters, just a few trees. I dont have to pile it anywhere, just push it onto road or parking lot.

12. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

BC,
    How long does it take to apply calcium to that area, man hour wise?

I'm bidding the biggest walk complex I have done to date..24,000 sq ft or about 8300 linear feet x 3 feet wide.

Your would be about 8400 sq ft so mine should be triple yours. About 6 man hours.
    Any idea if that sound about right?. I am lost on this one

13. BC Handyman

What you using to spread it? 3' aint wide enough for alot of spreading options without wasting alot. As for hr wise you talking about just spreading time, or snow romoval & then de-ice?

14. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

I can't post a pic but a walk behind spreader with the side flaps probably.

Just the time to spread the calcium only, no shoveling

15. BC Handyman

I'd imagine only an hr, maybe a bit longer if you got to walk all the way back to refill your spreader. One tip is do a quick drive & drop off a bag every few hundred feet when you going to spread, that way it save you from walking 1000's of feet back to refill.

16. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Glad someone has some reading comprehension. :drinkup:

17. yardsmith

yardsmith Senior Member

depending on money, a used Steiner or ventrac would work noce; they have a rotary broom attachment for light or dry snow, a straight or V plow for heavier stuff. Then you have a mower for summer.
    If not, a used ATV would be nice with a 3-4 ft plow. Make sure they don't stipulate what you can & can't use. Some places will say "Oh you can't use that big thing on our walks; its too heavy or too noisy, etc.".

18. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Am I mis reading this ?? Your talking about a half linear mile or nearly a half acre to SHOVEL ......

2 guys and single stage snow blowers. You best have a better plan and a good chiropractor. At least get a yard tracker with a blower attachment. You'll need to stage salt in many spots too. Good luck if you have to stack in a specific spot or you get nailed with a big storm. For those thinking they are still young bucks .... it does catch up with you. Thumbs Up

19. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If you are looking for a walk behind spreader your best bet would be an Epoke Mini. They are expensive but worth every penny. It will save you in salt what you are going to waste with a broadcast spreader. 1 pass down and 1 back and your done. They hold a lot of salt also.

As for the original poster, why a single stage. I know they are fast and you can walk quickly but why not a large 2 stage, 30-36" passes. A shovel is fast but finding someone that can shovel for 2 hours straight is next to impossible.

Buying a garden tractor would be money well spent.

20. Bossman 92

I guess I should have been more clear when I asked my question. I just wanted to know about how long it would take using single stage blowers for a general idea of where to begin with the quote. I know a quad would be faster but I wanted to quote the work using the tools we already have and if we landed the contract I could always add tools to make us faster and more efficient. Untill now we haven't done many walks (never wanted to have to mess with them) and single stage blowers have worked fine. Each plow truck has a shovel or a blower and the driver doesn't have to do more than 5 mins of walks once or twice a night. This client is zero tolerance both for their parking lot and now their sidewalks with almost all the walks running along the parking lot, allowing the snow to be blown into the lot and plowed off and out of the way.

They signed the contract so now I am looking for a more efficient way of doing the walks without breaking the bank.

Are you guys serious about using a garden tractor?